Turbo or Supercharger?

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I want to know what your opinions are on a turbo and supercharger(which one is better for a V8?)or should I just leave it naturally aspirated? Im goin to either work with a 350 or a 383.

Also, If I do decide to go turbo or supercharge, what engine components should I go with, and would it be better to go 350 or 383?

A

Anonymous

350 and a blower for instant power, 350 and a turbo if you like to wait, 406+ NA if you have deep pockets.

Actually you need to post up your goals and budget before this can be addressed.

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This car has to be streetable, yet potent. So id say probably about 500hp would do the trick on a $4000 budget if I go naturally aspirated.

I dont really know if I need a power adder though.

What components could I use to make if not, close to 500hp?

A

Anonymous

Do a budget turbo setup on a 350. You will be able to make more power then you will know what to do with. You can get a Master Power t70 for 500 bucks. The thing about waiting for the power to come on is BS unless you go with a huge turbo. If you want something that makes masive amounts of power with perfect street manners, a turbo is the way to go.

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That sounds like a plan, but should I get forged crankshaft, forged pistons, and I-beam rods? Because that stuff can quickly add up.

What should I do about the piping? Does someone make a kit or would I have to fab something up?

What other things would I need to acquire?

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
You can build a 500hp small block on nuts. $4k is a tight budget, but shopping around for the best deal I believe it could be doable.

Now a procharger will most likely cost more than $4k after you've purchased everything necessary to support boost.

For that matter, a turbo build won't be cheap either.

When you start boosting stuff, sh*t gets expensive in a hurry.

Of course this is just my limited experience. I know there is probably someone who has boosted their car for under $4k, and I'm sure there is someone who has built numerous 500hp SBC's for less than $4k...again just my limited experience.

Oh and Boost = Forged Parts or Paper Weights. Take your pick.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't be afraid to put a Scat cast crank in a mild turbo motor. You can get a set of forged rods for about 200 bucks and the pistons will be about 500. Pick a decent set of heads. You can get pipe from a diesel shop. For headers, either go with a Hedman weld up kit or just flip a set of shorties. Go with a 650 Holley DP. Get a knockoff wastegate and bov off ebay. As far a carb hat, you can buy a cheap one from pepboys or on ebay or you could just go with an EV hat. Do your research and you wont have to spend more then 4k to build it.

Be sure to check out http://www.turbomustangs.com.

MyBU

Frequent Racer
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanx guys for helping me out on all this. Im going to do some more research. I dont know if I really want to go with boost right now. I was looking at some different setups, and #### does get expensive fast! I would want to go with a 350 or 383 motor, because I was told that 406 motors are limited to their RPM, and I heard they rev slowwer, too. Is this true?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!