Intake manifolds...

A

Anonymous

Has anyone done any testing comparing intakes and/or carb spacers. I'm trying to get the most out of my combination and am currently using the Hurricane intake. I was thinking of replacing it with something of better quality and am looking for some ideas. I put a carb spacer on it and picked up .05 and 1 mph. Just looking for some suggestions or any tips on improving the intake that I have or recommendations on a replacement. The engine is a 355 with 215 Iron Eagle Platinums, 255 @ .050 Ultradyne solid lifter cam, 12.5:1, and on E85.
Best time to date is a 12.25 @109 in a 4000lb truck on drag radials and exhaust. This engine may find its way in my G-Body whenever it is done.

Thanks for the help

Darin

basketcase

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 9, 2003
Stockton, CA
www.jackstandracing.com
I didn't get to do any dyno testing with spacers, did play with a different carb.

Anyways, I'd like to see a picture of this truck!!

Did you get back-to-back passes to back up that .05 and 1mph? Or was it just one pass?

I'm not certain what the hurricane intake is, but I'd think a vic jr would work well with a 215 runner, a cam with that duration and that compression.

How do you like the e85?

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
Try an HVH Super Sucker http://www.highvelocityheads.com/ss.htm
with a Professional Products Hurricane Power+Plus [#52031] intake and you'll see some inexpensive improvement. :lol: That combo picked up .04 & 3mph on our 377sb.

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
A port-matched Victor Jr. with a 2" open spacer makes for a really nice combination on that type of engine. Maybe try a 2" spacer on your Hurricane intake and see what happens... the engine may really like the extra plenum volume.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
We gained 15hp with a 1inch open spacer on a 600hp 454 with a dual plane that had the divider cut down.

malibujason79

Dragway Regular
Oct 1, 2004
sw ohio
www.cardomain.com
I have this dart 1" phenolic spacer but have not tried it yet.
spacerhf7.th.jpg

Here is a little write up i seen over on pro-touring.com, thought it was interesting.

Carburetor Spacers:

Carburetors spacers can be a very useful tuning aid when working on your streetcar, or racecar. A spacer can be used to move the torque and power-band where it is more usable in your application, or they can be used to help work out inefficiencies in your combination.

4-Hole Spacers. As a rule of thumb a 4-hole designed spacer (4 individual holes one under each barrel of your carburetor) will increase your throttle response, and acceleration. They can also move the torque and power-band down in the RPM range. This is accomplished by keeping the air and fuel flowing in more of a column, which increases the air velocity. This can be a perfect addition if your vehicles throttle response is not as good as you’d like, or you’re getting passed when you pick up the throttle coming off of the corning. A 4-hole spacer can also help make up for something in the intake tract being larger than optimal (too large of a carburetor, cam, intake, etc.)

Open Spacers. As a rule of thumb an open designed spacer (1 big hole underneath your carburetor) will decrease your throttle response, and acceleration. They can also move the torque and power-band up in the RPM range. This is accomplished by increasing the plenum area, which will help in the higher RPM’s. This can be a perfect addition if your vehicle has traction problems when accelerating, or coming off of the corner. A 4-hole spacer can also help make up for something in the intake tract being smaller than optimal (too small of a carburetor, cam, intake, etc.)

Combination Spacers. A combination spacer (half 4-hole, and half open) can give you the best of both worlds. Increasing your throttle response, and acceleration over not using a spacer, and increasing or broadening the torque and power-band.

Plenum Dividers. A Plenum divider does as the name implies divides the plenum in an open plenum intake manifold from side to side. These are generally used to help prevent fuel slosh from side to side in high G load Oval-Track, or Road-Race applications. It is common on certain engines to have lean cylinders do to fuel slosh. A SBC oval track engine running on methanol can run lean on cylinders 3 & 5 while cylinders 4 & 6 will run rich. A plenum divider can help eliminate this.

Spacer thickness. Varying the thickness of your spacer will affect how it affects your engine. Normally the thicker the spacer the more of an affect if will have on your combination. Meaning if a ½” thick spacer helps you a little a 2” thick spacer can give you more of the same affect.

Spacer Material. There are many different types of materials used for manufacturing spacers. They all have pro’s and con’s. Wood for example is a great material as far as thermo efficiency, but can wick fuel, which is not safe. Plastic, or composite spacers are also very good at not transferring heat, but are not as strong, and can be harder to modify. Generally Phenolic fiber, or Aluminum is preferred. Phenolic is very good at not transferring heat, but can be hard to modify. Aluminum is not as good at heat dissipation, but can be ported or modified easily to work on specific applications.

Spacer Tuning. Since each spacer will react differently on each combination there is not a right or wrong type. Spacers are a great tool to have to help dial in a new combination, or tune your racecar for varying track conditions. Swapping out a spacer is a very simple change that can have great impact on the drivability of your streetcar, or racecar. Having a couple types, and thickness of spacers around is always a good investment.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
I second the opinion on the HVH SUPER SUCKER car spacer. I don't have my notes handy but my car loved this addition.

A

Anonymous

I took the Hurricane off and put on a nice Strip Dominator that I had laying around. I only made it out 1 time since, but my MPH was .5 faster than my previous best, ET was a tad slower though. This was on a 100 degree Saturday afternoon in the heat of the day on a pretty slimey track. I'm anxious to see what it will do in better conditions. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Darin

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
spacer help

Sounds like you guys are pretty knowledgable on spacers so help me out here. What would a 1" open spacer do under my QJ on my 454 motor?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!