Magnafuel Prostar 500 and aeromotive regulator problem

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I have a 350 sbc with a p1sc procharger, dart pro 1 aluminum heads and full roller motor. I just started it up the other day and and the car runs great, starts righht up and idles no problem, way better then any naturally aspirated motor i have built, even though i am 21 its been a few 8) . I have a prostar 500 pump and aeromotive regulator P/N 13204 and my problem is i can't adjust fuel pressure below 12 psi. I run a -10 inlet -6 to the carb, and -8 as my return, and i am also running -8 line from the return on the pump. I have a feeling that the fuel pump pushes out too much fuel for the regulator. I know the pressure from the pump is adjustable i just don't know how to do it. Does anyone know how to turn the pressure down or possibly any ideas of what the problem maybe i am trying to bring it down in the 5-6 psi range. My carb handles all the extra pressure now since its blow through and is meant for that but i would rather have the pressure way down. Any help is appreciated.

mikes

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2003
Capital District, Upstate New York
Hi, the regulator is kinda small for that pump. You should use the 13202...Either way the return line should be a minimum of -10. With this type of fuel system(true return style) you cap the bypass on the pump. an -6 to the bowls is ok with that small blower but if you ever step up you should use -8 in my opinion. I had the same trouble...when I switched to the -10 return it solved it but I also had the 13202 regulator.

A

Anonymous

Same problem I had as well. You definitely need a larger return line. #10 should do the trick.

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
mikes said:
Hi, the regulator is kinda small for that pump. You should use the 13202...Either way the return line should be a minimum of -10. With this type of fuel system(true return style) you cap the bypass on the pump. an -6 to the bowls is ok with that small blower but if you ever step up you should use -8 in my opinion. I had the same trouble...when I switched to the -10 return it solved it but I also had the 13202 regulator.

X2.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
X4.

If you ever watch the amount of fuel these things move at free flow, you'd crap your pants. A customer with a blown Chevelle had -8 and said to leave it when we were putting his pump in, that it would be big enough. We turned it on for him, and it took about 2 seconds to change his mind.

A

Anonymous

alright well i have the other regulator on order and looks like i iwill be spending more money to get it done right...thanks for all the help you guys.

A

Anonymous

13202 and in the process of getting the -10....the one problem is i have -8 fittings welded into my tank so i have to modify that too....If only i would of asked questions in the first place:p

mikes

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2003
Capital District, Upstate New York
thats no big deal...you can cap that off and just install a an-10 bulkhead or even cheaper a an-10 union(much shorter then a blukhead fitting) as the aluminum cells are thin enough to use the union with a nylon washer and -10 nut. Thats what I used. OH and put that return as far away from the sump as you can...eg..looking down at the top of the cell I have mine in the uppermost left hand side.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!