Innovative Motorsports LM-1...

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
Hey, what is everyone's opinions on the Innovative Motorsports LM-1 Wideband A/F Monitor? I'm will be investing in a laptop for college sometime this summer and I'd I wouldn't mind putting one of these monitors on my Malibu to help get the most out of my 357SBC. Is anyone using one these Air/Fuel Monitors? I'm looking at the LM-1 kit with the RPM converter option that way I can get a clear look at what my engine is doing. So what does everyone think of these? Later on, Nick.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Are they a great tuning device? Yes. Are they incredibly accurate in giving you a true A/F ratio? Eeeeh, people can say what they want in this regard, but I don't think so.

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
What causes the A/F reading to be inaccurate? So what do you reccomend instead of the LM-1? Later on, Nick.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
For what they cost, I think it's a good investment. There's alot that can be learned about what's going on with your combination once you start logging data.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
1BAD81BU said:
What causes the A/F reading to be inaccurate? So what do you reccomend instead of the LM-1? Later on, Nick.

Not sure. I see calibrated units come back that read a full point off on every dyno the car sees. Like Todd said, it's a great learning tool as long as you don't rely on the A/F as being 100% accurate. I think the other features you can upgrade to are equally as important.

dragginwagon406

Frequent Racer
Oct 30, 2005
NW Ohio
Things I found which can make it inaccurate:
misfiring cylinder
exhaust leak before the O2

But, I can tell you the LM1 paid for itself when I first took my blow thorugh down the track as my engine went way lean and was able to shut it down before any $$$ damage ocurred.

I bought the AUX box as well. Look on Innovates webiste as they have a forum for support in which fellow users (and Claus) will help to support the product as well other questions you may have.

I can't wait to start reviewing logs that have fuel pressure (first must buy a transducer) so I can see how bad the boost reference fuel pump is hurting the combination.

Justahbu

Pro Stocker
May 24, 2007
Reno, NV
I love mine helped me find my stumbles they are really good if your going to force induction

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
The few that I have seen up on our dyno read differently than what our dyno wideband read. The cars went quicker after a little dyno tuning even though they thought they were pretty close with the LM1. I hear that they are tricky to calibrate?

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
1BAD81BU said:
Hey, what is everyone's opinions on the Innovative Motorsports LM-1 Wideband A/F Monitor? I'm will be investing in a laptop for college sometime this summer and I'd I wouldn't mind putting one of these monitors on my Malibu to help get the most out of my 357SBC. Is anyone using one these Air/Fuel Monitors? I'm looking at the LM-1 kit with the RPM converter option that way I can get a clear look at what my engine is doing. So what does everyone think of these? Later on, Nick.

There are huge resources on the net to help you thru any issues.
I would recommend any Wide Band for tuning. The lm1 w/ an aux box is great because you can data log. Some w/b don't have any data feature. With a w/b you find out how bad you good tune is..... :shock:

What are you doing in Whiteland???

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
My WBO2 (it's an FJO Racing, and now what Holley sells) unit has proven invaluable as a tuning tool. It has saved me hundreds of dollars in tuning time by allowing me to do it myself.

It also read richer (like a solid point higher) than the dyno WBO2 at Apex Motorsport, but I believe that was because they stick theirs in the tailpipe where mine is in the header collector. My plugs and knock computer seem to confirm my readings.

I would never go back to a car without a WBO2 and datalogging capabilities - it's like flying blind. Good data rules!

Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!