cam selection

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
When you are not using a dyno,how do you know if the cam you are using should be bigger,smaller,less or more duration after you go to the track?
I know some guys have access to multiple cams but what if you dont?

A

Anonymous

Get a good software program like PipeMax. Very accurate compared to the other garbage out there.

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/cams_heads_valvetrain/0705ch_camshaft_profiling/index.html

camquest is another great program, it's free from comp cams..

George

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
You can play with valve lash to simulate more or less lift and duration to catch a "trend" the engine likes.

Two passes for every change, on a consistent track with similar weather conditions, and don't forget the wind.

A

Anonymous

SS402 said:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/cams_heads_valvetrain/0705ch_camshaft_profiling/index.html

camquest is another great program, it's free from comp cams..

George

"In reality, an increase in lift almost always leads to an increase in duration, because increasing lobe lift requires more distance to create the opening and closing ramps. "

I don't totally agree with that statement. It is a fairly true statement for flat tappet cams, but not rollers.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
If it's the same thing I downloaded, the Camquest stuff I found to be a cheap subset of the Desktop Dyno 2000 SW, and not very useful.

Jim

SURESHOT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 29, 2008
LONG ISALND NEW YORK
I was reading that camquest put out b.s numbers ? dont know for sure just reading that somewhere a while back i never used it myself

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
DeltaT said:
If it's the same thing I downloaded, the Camquest stuff I found to be a cheap subset of the Desktop Dyno 2000 SW, and not very useful.

Jim
x2

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!