4-7 swap cam

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Are these cams worth the extra money? Any good or bad experience with them?

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
I'm not sure how much extra money you've looked into but, Cam Motion is by far the cheapest. I'd splurge for anything over 500hp imo.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
What I've heard is maybe a couple hp, but not worth it. I guess it's more for taking stress off the crank, but then moving it another place.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15115

you can also do the 4/7-2/3 swap that is the lsx firing order and 302ho/351 firing order.

A

Anonymous

comp told me when i ordered my cam that anything that runs high rpm it is worth it (above 5500 operating range) due to harmonics and less stress on crank shaft

they also claimed it is worth about 15hp when running a high rpm race sbc

A

Anonymous

k9 said:
Well you ask ten people and you will get ten different answers on this. It really has a lot to do with your combo. Your intake and headers play a HUGE role in getting the extra power from them.Sort of like what an X-pipe dose. If its put in the right place it makes power, but if its not you stay the same or lose a little bit. I have a 7-4 swap in my 572. Pro Stock,Nascar,Irl have used them for years and they are centainly worth something in the right app. I would say in a well thought out combo carb. to headers its worth it, but to just try one because its a swap cam it would be money better spend else where.

A

Anonymous

Big M Motorsport said:
k9 said:
Well you ask ten people and you will get ten different answers on this. It really has a lot to do with your combo. Your intake and headers play a HUGE role in getting the extra power from them.Sort of like what an X-pipe dose. If its put in the right place it makes power, but if its not you stay the same or lose a little bit. I have a 7-4 swap in my 572. Pro Stock,Nascar,Irl have used them for years and they are centainly worth something in the right app. I would say in a well thought out combo carb. to headers its worth it, but to just try one because its a swap cam it would be money better spend else where.

yah what he said ^ :D

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I agree. Everything doesnt work for everybody

A

Anonymous

One of the monthly rags did a comparison on this within the last year & a half. (Sorry I can't recall which one though)

They ran a SBC on the dyno & then swapped cams as quickly as possible. I'm fairly certain they were Comp Cams. Both cams had the same specs just swapped the firing orders.

In this instance, the 4-7 cam produced 10hp more.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
Remember that articles in magazines only say what the companies giving the products away want them to say! ;) It all revolves around the advertising dollars.

A

Anonymous

If the *B* core (4/7) makes more power it is because of its proximity to the water pump. you have more cool water for 2/4 than you do when you fire 5/7 at the back. The *C* core (ls) does sound smoother and might have a better acceleration rate depending on your intake design. If you got the cash buy it it definatly won't make less power. BUT just like rod length there are a lot better places to find power.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!