Little M vs. Iron Eagle vs. Motown

A

Anonymous

Ok fella's,

What are the differences in these three blocks? The seem to be priced right around the same? This production block in my car will get tossed for a aftermarket block on my next build. I'm just getting some stuff on paper and trying to figure how much engine I can get for my dollar. It'll be an 18 degree motor of some sort. I posted about a little chief, but when I get right down to it, some folks slapped reality back into me, lol to exotic. I want to stay SBC and N/A.

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
The Little M and Motown blocks are fairly similar. The Little M is pretty much your standard SBC aftermarket block that most OEM and aftermarket components will bolt on/in to. They're standard 9.025" deck height, standard cam location, available with 4.000" or 4.125" bores, and 350 or 400 main journals. You can also get the Sportsman version, which has nodular iron main caps, no cam bearings, and no core/galley plugs included, or you can get the Pro version, which includes billet steel main caps, cam bearings, and a core/galley plug kit. The Motown is pretty much the same kind of deal, but, in my opinion, a much lower quality casting than the Dart product. The principle is there with World Products stuff, but, in many cases, the execution of their final product leaves much to be desired. The Iron Eagle block is still based on somewhat normal SBC architecture, but features a raised cam location, spread pan rails (requiring a unique oil pan), and no provision for an oil filter. It is also available in standard and raised deck heights. Unless you're going for a big-inch small block with a stroke over 3.875", the Iron Eagle is largely unnecessary.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Give a call to Dyno Flo if you're looking for a Little M. I haven't seen anyone touch their prices.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the Info. So for an 18 degree motor, it consists of 18 degree pistons, heads and valve train, Right??

The guy that sets up 3rd members and stuff for the locals, SWEARS that a small block with 23 degree heads has a GOVENOR, LOL. He is putting down 5,80's in a back halved Nova, and his tube chassis Berreta runs 4,80's both cars are N/A.
So this is where I get my inspiration from.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
The Iron Eagle also requires you to drill your own drain back hole(s) in the galley area. I'd get with a builder and figure out what kind of racing you want to do. No sensein building something that is overkill and cost more if it's not needed. That is unless you got the extra coin laying around. CFE has some nice 18* setups for the money. If you go na I'd go big inch and SB2 or Brodix BD.

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
We machine a lot of blocks and I would stay away form the World blocks as we have seen to many problems with those blocks as far as cam tunnel problems and alignment problems as they use stock type cam bearings all different sizes like the OEM blocks use. The last World block we bought was filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs with epoxy and the customer refused the block and World would not take it back and it was untouched.

The Darts require a little more work as far as lifter bore sizing, Line honing, Decking, Boring and Honing, and there are 7 water holes on each deck that have to be gasket matched for cooling. The cam tunnel is 2 inch all the way through like the Bowtie blocks.

The Iron Eagle requires an external oil filter.

We sell the Dart Little-M Sportman all CNC machined for 2395.00 and shipped free in the U.S.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Re:

CNC BLOCKS said:
We machine a lot of blocks and I would stay away form the World blocks as we have seen to many problems with those blocks as far as cam tunnel problems and alignment problems as they use stock type cam bearings all different sizes like the OEM blocks use. The last World block we bought was filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs with epoxy and the customer refused the block and World would not take it back and it was untouched.

The Darts require a little more work as far as lifter bore sizing, Line honing, Decking, Boring and Honing, and there are 7 water holes on each deck that have to be gasket matched for cooling. The cam tunnel is 2 inch all the way through like the Bowtie blocks.

The Iron Eagle requires an external oil filter.

We sell the Dart Little-M Sportman all CNC machined for 2395.00 and shipped free in the U.S.

A little thread highjack here...
The new cheaper Dart blocks i see in the Summit catalogue and some other places, whats the whole idea with those?
It seems to me like they have traded material thickness and strength for some more ready-to-run features?
Have you worked with these new blocks and if so, what can you say about them?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!