Radial slick question

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
We decided to try Hoosier 9.0x30x15 CO6 compound radials, tubless on the Malibu this season. At 33-3400lbs with a 377sb in the 425HP range it seemed like a good choice, and did make a very positive change in the cars behaviour. During our first testing it only hooked once, but picked up RT, MPH & ET over runs with last years bias ply same size Hoosiers.

One problem...one tire has spun on the rim about 1½" after 4 passes. It appears to have happened after we lowered tire pressures from 24 to 20 then 18psi during our efforts to overcome a very badly prepped track. Didn't get a chance to try higher pressues again since the track time was limited.

My question is this: What do you radial tire guys recommend to fix this issue? Is it a critical problem and if so, how much can it be allowed to rotate? I don't want to run screws with these new wheels, as I understand many lower HP cars like ours don't need them.

A

Anonymous

Most of the stocker guys I know have said to start at 16 or 17 and go up. I've found 19 / 20 best on my M/T Radials.
Haven't noticed any movement on the rim.
I don't know anyone that screws the tire to the rim , including higher class cars.

ejf87

Amateur Racer
Aug 28, 2005
bensalem pa
my 28x9.0 hoosier radial slicks are screwed to the rims because i blew one off doing a burn out.And thats only with a 450hp 454.Had to get new tire and wheel.I had 18psi in the tires at that time.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Mount them "dry", clean rim. A touch of mounting lube is okay, as it will dry up pretty quick.

I run about 16-16 1/2 psi "hot" in my Goodyears, they will usually move about 1-2 inches on the first hits, then stay where they are until they are used up.
1.37 - 1.40 short times.

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
Goob said:
Mount them "dry", clean rim. A touch of mounting lube is okay, as it will dry up pretty quick.

I run about 16-16 1/2 psi "hot" in my Goodyears, they will usually move about 1-2 inches on the first hits, then stay where they are until they are used up.
1.37 - 1.40 short times.

ive always used a high quality tire soap, when it dries it will "glue" the tire to the rim....when it dries.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Break the beads clean and apply Hi-Tack to the beam and seat with 30 psi for 24 hrs.
I was turning the rim in the tire about 6-8 inches each pass and add 8 rim screws per side and fixed it.
Other than 16 screw per side or bead locks.
Most folks don't use screws with Radials
I have two customers running rims screws and in 8's so I guess it is ok.

superdiv1

Frequent Racer
Mar 6, 2005
HATBORO WHAT!
ejf87 said:
my 28x9.0 hoosier radial slicks are screwed to the rims because i blew one off doing a burn out.And thats only with a 450hp 454.Had to get new tire and wheel.I had 18psi in the tires at that time.

i wanna know where you got 28x9 radials.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
superdiv1 said:
ejf87 said:

i wanna know where you got 28x9 radials.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm#DOT%20Drag%20Radial

Look at the Hoosier DOT Drag Radials. Their a DOT approved radial drag tire to compete against the M/T Et Street Radials. I spoke with Hoosiers engineers and they tell me the DOT D/R construction is very similar to the radial slicks. Very similar tread compound, very similar sidewall construction. They are offered in a variety of sizes.

I just picked up a pair of 325's today after selling the M/T's.

A

Anonymous

did you notice the new hoosiers are almost 10lbs lighter than the MT's?

Hoosier:

17318 P325/50R15 29lbs

MT:

3757R P325/50R15 37lbs

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!