calling all alcoholics...considering running alky need help

A

Anonymous

All I have ever heard is hore stories. with water and corrosion problems. that you have to drain the entire system every weekend etc etc etc.

any advice and our opinions would be appreciated. especially those with experiences both good and bad

Dom87SS

Pro Stocker
Jun 6, 2003
Lake Villa, IL
www.stroked57.com
r u a motor car, boost, or spray?

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
we ran alky in the vega last year, all i know is it was a royal pain in the *ss. We didn't have a good year though, we went through two motors. Pistons were pitted, weather or not that was from the alky or not i dont know. Personally i dont like it but it does have its advantages.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
I was having problems with my gas carb and a friend offered his alky carb for a try. My experiences were very positive. I run a Magnafuel fuel system, so it is compatible with both fuels, so all I did was drain the gas and put in alky and turn up the fuel pressure. The car definitely had better throttle response, more power, and ran extremely cool. Also ran really clean. Never got a track number out of it because it was after the season. I will be trying that same carburetor in comparison to my new 1050 HP gas dominator and see what the differences are. The only bad thing about the alky is getting it fired up the first time of the day, after the initial firing it starts easy. I changed the oil after running it on alky (approx 25 gallons I used) and the oil wasn't any different than before. All I did was run about 5 gallons of 87 through my fuel system (2 cycles) to get all the alky out. If you have a carb its worth a try, I liked the way my car reacted to it and the only drawbacks I noticed were starting issue and it running too cold, around 150 degrees.

A

Anonymous

cherp22 said:
I was having problems with my gas carb and a friend offered his alky carb for a try. My experiences were very positive. I run a Magnafuel fuel system, so it is compatible with both fuels, so all I did was drain the gas and put in alky and turn up the fuel pressure. The car definitely had better throttle response, more power, and ran extremely cool. Also ran really clean. Never got a track number out of it because it was after the season. I will be trying that same carburetor in comparison to my new 1050 HP gas dominator and see what the differences are. The only bad thing about the alky is getting it fired up the first time of the day, after the initial firing it starts easy. I changed the oil after running it on alky (approx 25 gallons I used) and the oil wasn't any different than before. All I did was run about 5 gallons of 87 through my fuel system (2 cycles) to get all the alky out. If you have a carb its worth a try, I liked the way my car reacted to it and the only drawbacks I noticed were starting issue and it running too cold, around 150 degrees.

what about fuel lines? are steel braided lines compatible with alcohol? and aluminum an fittings?

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
I used the same everything. All I did was run the 110 out and put alky carb on and alky in the tank. After I put the car up for the year I ran 87 octane through the system to clean it out a couple of times.

A

Anonymous

Going on my 2nd yr of injected, will have to sit down and get you a good feedback. Honestly...too much for one quick....and drunk post.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
EMcIllece said:
Going on my 2nd yr of injected, will have to sit down and get you a good feedback. Honestly...too much for one quick....and drunk post.

=D>

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
It is definately alot of work to maintain an alky car. Not to mention getting fuel might be a problem, your fuel goes bad much much faster if you are not using it and it will milk the oil more than regular gas will.

It does help bandaid problems that alot of racers have though. The extra torque that alky provides will help mask cams that are too big as well as heads that are too big. I am not saying this is the right way to do it, I am just saying that it covers up this problem a little, even though a sorted out combination will run a little quicker with alky.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!