Center oiled flat tappet lifters

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I would like to know if any of you have any input on Howards flat tappet lifters with the lobe oiling hole in them.
What i am wondering is; will the lobes get hardened during breakin of the cam with such a lifter and it's improved lobe lubing?
With todays oils missing the high pressure lubricants in them i was thinking they might be a good idea.

I'm thinking about using a flat tappet to keep costs down in my turbo build that i've been planning for too long. Just gathering info here on that to choose and what not to.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Well if they work in a olds engine they must do a really good job in a new.. :lol:

Ouch that was lame..sorry. Thanks for letting me know!

A

Anonymous

I just picked up a set of the Comp lifters like those, part number 800-16. My local engine guy swears by them. I guess I can't tell ya much 'bout them 'til next year when I do a tear down, and when I do that I'm planning on going roller.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
EMcIllece said:
I just picked up a set of the Comp lifters like those, part number 800-16. My local engine guy swears by them. I guess I can't tell ya much 'bout them 'til next year when I do a tear down, and when I do that I'm planning on going roller.
Good to hear there are pro's swearing by ther performance.
I don't think i will be waiting a full year before i will have com to decide what cam/lifters i want to buy...but who knows??

rs regal

Amateur Racer
Nov 5, 2004
sounds like a good idea, but a lifter is crowned in the center. the hole is in the center where it sees the most load... do you want a hole at that point? crower sells them with the same hole, but it is off center a bit.... sounds like a much beter way to go to me........buy the way, i put 10 nights on a set of howards in a c/t motor. 2 of them show a lot of wear, the cam looks good but lifers are junk. not sure if it was a hardness issue or what.... i got talked into tring them, i wish i knew about the crowers before hand

K-Star automotive

Amateur Racer
Feb 6, 2006
York, Pa
www.kstarautomotive.com
lifters

I have only used one set in a street application... I can tell you that after a year or so of dirving that was the best looking used flat tappet cam i have ever seen....

Keith

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
rs regal said:
sounds like a good idea, but a lifter is crowned in the center. the hole is in the center where it sees the most load... do you want a hole at that point?

That's exactly what i was wondering!
I also see that trying to spell with one hand in a cast isn't helping me much :oops:

The more i think about those lifters and how they are buil, the more urge i get on having a solid roller instead....
Thanks for all the thoughts and knowledge so far!

A

Anonymous

rs regal said:
sounds like a good idea, but a lifter is crowned in the center. the hole is in the center where it sees the most load... do you want a hole at that point? crower sells them with the same hole, but it is off center a bit.... sounds like a much beter way to go to me........buy the way, i put 10 nights on a set of howards in a c/t motor. 2 of them show a lot of wear, the cam looks good but lifers are junk. not sure if it was a hardness issue or what.... i got talked into tring them, i wish i knew about the crowers before hand

actually, i thought they took most of the pressure around the outside of the lifter and not in the center, because the lobes are tapered also, also what motor oil were you running?

i helped a friend of mine rebuild a "cam eater" that ate 3 hydraulic cams while running mobil1...hes since switched to the isky 202SO lifters with the oriface and a comp XS cam, forget which particular grind...also switched to rotella T oil and he hasnt had a problem since and hes at double the previous mileage its gotten from hydraulic cams

i would probably run rotella T or delo 400 for a driver, unless you want to get into race oil for the last ounce of performance..just make sure they dont skimp on the ZDDP for a flat tappet engine like most current SM rated oils

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!