Shift Points

A

Anonymous

I'm looking for some info on shift points and cant find it. Maybe some one can inform me on what to do. Maybe I can pick up a little time by changing them. I would love to do the just try differant points at the track, but I cant get to the track that often, and when I do its packed and I get like 3-4 runs in a night.

Do you shift at your peak HP or just over, Or is it when you shift to end up below your peak torque or at your peak. My peak hp is at 6500 and peak TQ is at 5400.

A

Anonymous

don't know how true this is but I have always heard shift approx. 1000 rpm above your peak hp

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Short shift your way to lower ET's.

Depends on what your RPM's come back to on the shifts, do you have a replay tach?

A

Anonymous

no I dont have a replay tach. Thats why I'm wondering if I should be shifting so my next shift would be below my peak TQ

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Autometer said:
I don't have a tach in the car. I'd just shift before it'll nose over or the limiter kicks in. :)

I did that for a while, picked up .3 the day I put a tach in and quit over-revving it......

no I dont have a replay tach. Thats why I'm wondering if I should be shifting so my next shift would be below my peak TQ

For instance, my engine will pull to 6700, but it gains me nothing.
Converter stall is 5200-5300 depending on the air, I shift at 6400, the RPM's fall back to 5950 on the shifts, through the 1/4 mile finish at 6500.....it's near perfect, although I wanted nearer 5500 for the stall.

It all depends on the converter fin angle and stator combination how your converter will work.....

Just change your shifts until you get your best time slips.

A

Anonymous

Goob said:
Autometer said:
I don't have a tach in the car. I'd just shift before it'll nose over or the limiter kicks in. :)

I did that for a while, picked up .3 the day I put a tach in and quit over-revving it......

For instance, my engine will pull to 6700, but it gains me nothing.
Converter stall is 5200-5300 depending on the air, I shift at 6400, the RPM's fall back to 5950 on the shifts, through the 1/4 mile finish at 6500.....it's near perfect, although I wanted nearer 5500 for the stall.

It all depends on the converter fin angle and stator combination how your converter will work.....

Just change your shifts until you get your best time slips.

i am confused what does stall speed have to do with shift points?

according to what you are saying your engine only has 1000 rpm of useable power band?

stroker81

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
SW Missouri
Goob has good advice. My car is consistently .2 slower with a 6400 pill in my light than it is with a 6200 pill. The car feels good all they way up past 6500. You need to just try different ones until you find the sweet spot.

A

Anonymous

The converter flashes at 3500 and it stalls at 4600 with the t-brake. Should I'm shifting at 7000 now,but I think its not doing any good that high.Thats why I'm wondering if I should be shifting so my next shift starts below my peak TQ or just shift at my peak HP

A

Anonymous

With a Glide go about 300-500 over the torque peak for stall speed. You can go a little closer to the peak with a 3-speed. Shift it around 200 over the HP peak as a starting point.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!