7531 digital 7 slew rate

ralphl

Amateur Racer
May 15, 2006
panama city, fl
does anybody truly understand how to setup the slew rate on this box? I will be tring to get 295/60/15 mt drag radials to hook with the big block and i dont think it is going to happen without the slew rate

ralphl

Amateur Racer
May 15, 2006
panama city, fl
Griswald said:
Have you tried using the launch retard instead of slew rate?
no the car has not seen the track yet with the new motor, but i should be back at the track soon. I am just tring to figure all the settings out before hand with the box and understand what they do and how they do it. Not many people around here is running this box and the ones that are seem like it is some big sceret or something

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
Well, you will find that whatever you have programmed, you will start making changes after the first pass. My suggestion would be to read up the features in the HELP section of the program first. MSD tech can also help you if you have specific questions. I would start playing with the launch retard first before you start messing with slew rate. I'd hate to see you burn your chit up for no reason. Launch retards will allow you to take power out via timing events and ramp the power back in over time.

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Hey Holy Crap man am I in the same boat as you!
I have the 7530T with a crank trigger and pro billet distributor. I am old school and all this stuff is giving me headaches. I am slowely learning. I downloaded the updated softwarer from the MSD site and try to learn everynight. I don't have a laptop yet. The hand controller is crap compared to the pc readout. My supplied software won't even work. I did manage to get the motor fired up once I corrected the proper bolt pattern for mounting the trigger wheel on the motor. If you don't do that, the pick-up will match up with the magnet either way to the left, or way to the right.
LOL! I set the motor and distributor to TDC, then set the pick-up to the magnet...WRONG!! It took alot of cranking but it still fired-up, but took too much adjustment to get it even near 38*. I shut it off and sat there for a little while trying to think it all through, and then went back and reset the crank trigger wheel, brought the motor back to TDC and pulled it back 38* and dropped in the distributor in at no. 1, like my old magneto days, then reset the pick-up to match-up with the magnet and WHAM it fired right up!

I set the no. of cylinders, start retard, and rev limit values easy enough, though I think I might've programmed too much start retard (20*) because it seems to turn over a few times and wants to start before varoom! it fires up. I thought this MSD would get it to fire instantly. My buddies ten second BBC Nova fires right up at the turn of the key with his 7AL2. I'm scratching my head. Suggestions anyone???
I am going to the track friday and run it for the first time with this set-up, and will lay down a few passes with my 275/60 M/T DR's to baseline before I start messing with the launch retard. It's programmable from 1* over time starting at .050 seconds. Good lord that sounds easy but I'm a fish out of water learning along the way. Can't find anyone running it online, and the intructions are pretty much crap. It's more like a sales brochure to me. Oh yeah.....my brand new timing light doesn't want to work with it, but works great on my friend's Nova.......I'm Lost :roll:

ralphl

Amateur Racer
May 15, 2006
panama city, fl
well you are futher along than i am. I am still waiting on lemons for my headers, thats all i need so i can go play with my box.

ralphl

Amateur Racer
May 15, 2006
panama city, fl
:shock:

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I find the MSD software to be really a poor design and awful to use,I have had my Dig 7plus for about 5 years and I still dont understand the thing

The slew rate is essentially traction control for NA and Turbo cars
and to use it on a nitrous car is like runnnig on a revlimiter which
will burn up your motor........If you ask MSD if its traction control they will
deni it and get all in a huff ,but thats it is used for...

The launch retard is a nice feature,alot easier to set up than slew but IMO
is very limited in what it can do and is always set at max

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!