Cam Theory

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Would anyone be interested in a topic on cam theory? I consider myself pretty knowledgable elsewhere, but on cams I only know the basics.

A

Anonymous

It'll make for good talk, anything specific? Or does somebody just want to throw something out there?

A

Anonymous

dont know if this applies but how about this how do i choose the best cam for my car?? i mean i am sure you have to post your combo but i know lots of people have this question ad it plays a big part in the motor building process..

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
sleek79 said:
dont know if this applies but how about this how do i choose the best cam for my car?? i mean i am sure you have to post your combo but i know lots of people have this question ad it plays a big part in the motor building process..

Be honest in what you want. There is no such wonder cam that makes 1200 hp and idles like a kitten.

Now what is important?
Idle, Drivability, Weekend Fun, Affordable Racer, Serious Race and lot of valve springs.

Being able to understand what you want is the first part.

A

Anonymous

Determine your goals and combination and then STICK to it. I see more mismatched combinations that people can't for the life of them understand why they run horrible or don't perform as they thought they would. First set a budget so you know what you can spend. Then determine what you really want, and be realistic. Look at what motor/trans/chassis combo you have to work with, and then select a matched combination to reach your goals and stay on budget. Too often I see guys who have mismatched stuff and then have to spend good money after bad to correct things. Do it right the first time if possible.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
What are the effects of on a N/A motor

Duration

Overlap

Lobe Seperation Angle

Lift etc...

A

Anonymous

I like this topic and can really use some good information to help me make an informed decision on what cam to purchase.
I am in the parts gathering stage for my new engine, so far I have a new Dart little M 4 bolt block bored 4.125 (going 427c.i.), and eagle 4340 crank, 6" 4340 H rods and AFR heads.
I do know that I want to go sith a solid roller cam and possibly a stealth ram intake.
This is going in my 86 Monte SS that only sees weekend driving, and local cruise nights and car shows. The car will not be run at the track at all and it is also set up as a PT car.
I understand what lift, duration and overlap are but not how they affect the overall combination.
I'm also looking to make about 550 - 600hp.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Hey John, I'm from Orange county NY. Lived up there when I was a young lad, now residing in Florida

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!