Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm 
Weekend Racer

are you possitive?...I read that the thicker front line goes to the front brakes, considering the front brakes do most of the work they use a bigger line, plus the Wilwood residual valve is only made for the thinner line, but I wouldnt be too suprised because Wilwood likes to do everything backwards, you think when Wilwood makes a kit for something they would have info on everything you need to do the swap, not just sell the kit and make you go to the forums to find out all the stuff they forgot to mention about there own kit, so how would i make the residual valve fit the thicker brake line

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:36 pm 
Daily Driver

Steel Concepts,
I want to order a kit from you, but you haven't returned my e-mails or phone calls. What is the best way to contact you?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm 
Weekend Racer

ok now on MonteCarloSS.com somebody is telling me the bigger line is for the front brakes, and the smaller line is for the rear, the Wilwood residual valve only fits the smaller brake line too, so wich one is it, does anybody know for sure, I need to hear from somebody who is absolutly possitive, this is my brakes we are talking about, (and I would like to say this again Wilwood (who makes the manual brake kit) doesnt even know wich one is the rear brake line!!!...I want to drive my car!!! :x

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 pm 
Weekend Racer

which brake line coming from the master cylinder is to the rear brakes, I need to make sure my Wilwood residual valve is on the rite line...does anybody in this world have any clue which brake line is for the rear brakes, the thin line or the thicker line???

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm 
Amateur Racer

Why don't you just follow the line to where it goes?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm 
Weekend Racer

it goes from the MC to the prop valve, then Im not sure what happens whats the line goes into the prop valve, I have people telling me its the thin line then I have people telling me its the thick line, from the looks of the prop valve I would say thicker line but I cant say it for sure becuase I have people telling me its thinner line, this is my first time getting this down and dirty with brakes so i just want to make sure, for saftey reasons, this is my brakes we're talking about ya know, the Wilwood 10LB residual valve only fits the thinner line too, but I called Wilwood again today and they said there are adapter fittings to make it fit the bigger line, they also have no clue what line goes where, even though they make the Kit for a G-body

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:13 pm 
Frequent Racer

I just did my manual brake conversion today.It was pretty simple.I bought my kit from Travis at http://www.dragracebrakes.com

When I talked to Travis on the phone,he said to bench bleed the new master cylinder and be sure to get every last air bubble out before installing it on the car.Only took about 5-6 minutes to get it fully bench bled.Then I drilled the new hole in the brake peddle for the new pushrod,like the directions said.Getting the brake peddle out was fairly simple too.I took out my front bucket seat and layed on the floor,that way I had plenty of room to work.I left my factory master cylinder bolted to the brake lines till I was ready to switch the lines to the new Wilwood master cylinder.I had to buy one fitting to complete my switch.On my 86 Monte Carlo,the front brake line & fitting were larger than the hole in the new Wilwood master cylinder.So I went to my local auto parts store & picked one up that adapted me up to the correct size.I took my old fittings along just to match up thread sizes.The kit looks great & fits great too!
...Mark
http://www.BenchSeatRacin.com

Bel Air,MD 21014

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:31 pm 
Weekend Racer

have you driven her yet since the manual brake swap, how does she brake now compared to before, do you feel like your Fred Flinstoning the peddle to the floor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:38 pm 
Frequent Racer

Haven't drove it yet.The car isn't finished enough to drive.I need to cut a driveshaft for it still.The peddle feels real firm at this point.I rolled it backwards and hit the brakes to see if they bit,and they worked with very little pressure on the peddle...of course that's not driving it and stopping it from 50 or 130 mph.So far so good!I'll keep you guys posted.I'm anxious to get it going.This is my first G body,and I've been gathering parts like a mad man to build it...LOL! One of the next big things to tackle is narrowing my 12 bolt.I'm going to notch the frame rails & probably move the factory inner wheel houses inboard or maybe mini tub it,not sure yet.I've got to figure out how I'm going to box in the rear frame rails.I may have to lift the body up off the frame enough to get a welder in there,right now the floor pans are in the way of that.Kind of doing things out of order,but I'm learning as I go with this car.Here's a link to a gallery of pics as I make progress.
http://www.benchseatracin.smugmug.com/g ... YwX8#P-1-9
.....Mark

Bel Air,MD 21014

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 pm 

guys,I'm currently instaling a set-up from Travis,how did you guys connect the rear line to the line from the master cyl.? also the stock rear line to the master? I've been to every parts store and brake shop around and can't find any adapters,my car is a 80 malibu and will be running disc/disc and no proportioning valve.thanks for any info.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 am 
Dragway Regular

I have tried contacting them a few times now..does anyone have anyother email or phone number ??

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 am 
Dragway Regular

What abou tthe brake pusrod ??do I need to get a different one?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm 
Pro Stocker

do they make any stock line pre spiraled? I suck at bending tubes.. I'm really thinking of ordering this kid after i get paid.

member of NAAWP National Association for the Advance of White People.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 pm 
Dragway Regular

Yes Classic tube and inline tube both in stainless and standard.....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:13 am 
Pro Stocker

what company?

member of NAAWP National Association for the Advance of White People.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » TECHNICAL » Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical