manual brake conversion

foxz

Frequent Racer
Jun 23, 2006
british columbia canada eh
what all in it doing the conversion? i think its a great conversion...any pro/con's?? any one sell them?? how much do they go for...and how hard is it to install.. thx

A

Anonymous

foxz said:
what all in it doing the conversion? i think its a great conversion...any pro/con's?? any one sell them?? how much do they go for...and how hard is it to install.. thx

A good place to start would be: http://www.maliburacing.com and click on the "Tech" section.

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
Manual brakes

It's not a hard install, you can use the master cylinder from a mid 80s Dodge truck. It is basically the same one that willwood uses. Just make an aluminum adapter for the firewall. You have to move the pin up on the pedal that pushes the master. When you buy one of these from NAPA it will come with a little rubber that retains the rod in the master. then just build a new rod using half of the Chev rod and half of the Dodge rod. I did this on my 80 Monte and it works great. It definitly is harder to push the pedal, but that to be expected.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
The best kit, bar none, is the one from Travis at Steel Concepts. Just click their link at the top of the page.

stroker81

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
SW Missouri
Supe said:
The best kit, bar none, is the one from Travis at Steel Concepts. Just click their link at the top of the page.

The link BrianH323 posted is Travis' kit.

wessonracing

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2007
Gardendale, AL
Has anyone used the stock manual brake master cylinder? My local NAPA guy shows a replacement for a manual brake 1979 Malibu. When using the Chrysler style like the one in the kit do you have to use a propotioning valve when running front disc and rear drums? The kit is a bargain as the master cylinder by itself goes for around $120.00.

Jimmy Wessonb

riceca

Amateur Racer
Apr 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I used the conversion kit from Steel Concepts (Travis) and it came out sweet. He has a very very nice product! You will not be let down by this piece.

Here is mine.

wilwoodandlinelock3.jpg

lata
CHRIS

riceca

Amateur Racer
Apr 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If you are running disc brakes in the rear you dont have to do anything because the master is setup for disc/disc. But if you have drum brakes like I do you need to add a 10lbs residual (sp?) valve. Other than that it is a bolt it. You have to use the supplied fitting that come with the master for the brake lines. Not had just part of it. All you have to do is cut your old lines and put the new fittings on and re-flare the lines. It is really an easy install. I had a little more complication because I added the line lock at the same time. But still easy.

lata
CHRIS

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!