Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:50 pm 

I spoke to Wilwood brakes this morning and told them the set up I have (listed below) and they recommend that I remove the stock prop valve that is on the fram and just add an adjustable one for the rear brakes and set them up that way?? I am now thoroughly confused. I am not sure of what to change now and what to leave. Do I buy a different master? Should I go with the steel concepts conversion above? Should I go with one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT He's got more in stock, both power and manual.

I have a 78 Malibu, stock front disc brakes and when my rear end arrives, I will have a set of Wilwood rear disc brakes. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Last question, do manual brakes work as well as power brakes? Never driven a car with manual brakes, so not too sure? Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:31 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

You've got way more rear brakes than the stock fronts can effectively work with. You'll have major rear lock-up problems. Unless you upgrade the front brakes, you're going to need to reduce the rear bias a LOT. You'll need an adjustable prop valve, even with the stock combo valve. You may not even be able to back the rears off enough with a prop valve.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:40 am 

I shouldn't have too many problems, I hope. I run just about the same set up on my Camaro, minus the stock prop valve and added a Bear prop for the rear. Car stops on a dime.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 am 

Tommy, I got a 89 Caprice M/C The vacuum pedal rod is too long. Does the M/C assemble to the firewall or do I need a specific part?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:29 pm 

i've been debating on how i want to go about converting my car over to manual brake also. from what i've been told from sevral people and steel concepts is w/ a disc / drum setup junk the factory power prop valve , run wilwood 10lb diversion valve in rear lines and call it a day?

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:18 pm 

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38400

I wanted to at least get this link in, even if the details don't make it to the main post for a bit. Good info :D

'87 Fiero GT - 2.8/5-speed
'78 Malibu - Vortec 350/4-speed (for now)

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

mac daddy wrote:
Tommy, I got a 89 Caprice M/C The vacuum pedal rod is too long. Does the M/C assemble to the firewall or do I need a specific part?

I don't know about the B-body M/C. I used a C3 Vette disc/disc master & a small diameter dual diaphragm booster that bolts directly to the firewall. I know I'll have to modify the pushrod somewhat, but iI haven't gotten that far yet.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Board index » TECHNICAL » Wheels/Tires/Brakes Technical