Brakes FAQ's revisited

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
OK guys, let's see if I can keep my mind off of Finster long enough to rewrite the deleted "Brakes FAQ's" post for a new "Sticky".

Q: Can I run stock upper A-arms with the B-body/1LE conversion?
A: No. The camber would be way out (+) and the necessary shim pack would be ridiculously thick.

Q: Can I use the stock disc/drum combo valve on a disc/disc setup?
A: No. The proprotioning is much different, the rear brakes will get too much pressure reduction under hard braking. The metering is different, too. There will be too much delay of the front brakes, resulting in excessive rear lock up.

Q: Can I use a disc/drum master cylinder on a disc/disc setup?
A: No. The master cylinder will not move enough fluid volume to give you proper rear caliper pressure, resulting in a mushy pedal or very little rear brakes or both.

Q: Can I use an adjustable brake bias valve instead of a combination valve?
A: You shouldn't on a stock style system. It can be done, but you end up not having the rear brakes start to apply first. This helps keep the car stable. There is also a safety built into the valve that blocks off a circuit if it develops a leak so you don't run the risk of "bypassing" the M/C and losing all the fluid. Adjustable type bias valves are just that- bias valves. They are designed to be used for fine tuning front/rear bias on a stock style system with a combo valve or to be used with a dual master cylinder set up like most race cars have.

Q: Can I use a power brake master cylinder on a manual brake conversion?
A: No. It would work, but you end up with extremely high pedal effort. If you try to use a manual master cylinder with a booster, the opposite is true. You get an extremely light pedal that's very touchy.

Q: Can I eliminate the combo valve when I convert to disc/disc?
A: Technically, yes. It should work if the M/C has the same size bore for the front and rear brake circuits. For stock set ups, I would have to say no for the reasons listed above.

I'll add more if I think of them.

Tommy

edited 07 May 06

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Concerning the disc/disc vs. disc/drum Q&A's:

From what I've heard, Baer Brakes doesnt recommend any changes/upgrades to the master cylinder or combination valve when using their front and rear disc kits (as far as G-bodies are concerned). There are quite a few people on montecarloss.com running rear discs without a change in mc or combo valves. With Baer being as large a company as it is, I dont think their lawyers would let them recommend something that wasnt safe or caused products to work in a range less that what they were designed.

These disc conversions are pretty much F-body rear discs; you may be refering to something completely different.

nowukno

Dragway Regular
Sep 26, 2004
s.california
Duts87ss said:
Concerning the disc/disc vs. disc/drum Q&A's:

From what I've heard, Baer Brakes doesnt recommend any changes/upgrades to the master cylinder or combination valve when using their front and rear disc kits (as far as G-bodies are concerned). There are quite a few people on montecarloss.com running rear discs without a change in mc or combo valves. With Baer being as large a company as it is, I dont think their lawyers would let them recommend something that wasnt safe or caused products to work in a range less that what they were designed.

These disc conversions are pretty much F-body rear discs; you may be refering to something completely different.

I heard the same thing about Stainless Steal brakes too..You dont have to change a thing,you just bolt them on..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
AFAIK, the kits from Baer and SSB are designed to work with the stock masters and combo valves. I'm talking about installations using generic parts combos, not specifically engineered sytems.

Tommy

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Most of the Baer kits use PBR calipers just like the ones used on C4 and C5 Vettes and LS1-equipped F-bodies. I'm sure the calipers that are *made* by (or for) Baer will need some sort of other mods though (but who knows).

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Thanks for the "sticky"!

Tommy

A

Anonymous

Tommy, I converted over to 12 inch brakes, 1le rotors,Caprice calipers, and spindles. I have a 69 Camaro manuel brake master cylinder. The brake pedal is spungy and it doesn't stop any better. Any suggestions??

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
mac daddy said:
Tommy, I converted over to 12 inch brakes, 1le rotors,Caprice calipers, and spindles. I have a 69 Camaro manuel brake master cylinder. The brake pedal is spungy and it doesn't stop any better. Any suggestions??

A master cylinder for the Caprice that the calipers came from.

A

Anonymous

The Caprice MC only comes in power brakes. I have manual brakes. Will I have to change anything else?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
mac daddy said:

The Camaro M/C bore may be too big, resulting in low pressure at the calipers.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!