Rear Tire/Gear Ratio Combo

BaskinsRacing

Apr 27, 2017
Florence, AL
I am building an '81 Malibu for drag only. It has a Ford 8.8 rear end from a fox body mustang under it. I've been running a 26 x 8.5 Slick with 4.10 gears in it but we are swapping from a TH350 to a Powerglide transmission and knew we likely going to have to change gear ratios anyway. I'm also looking at changing tire size wile I'm at it. So here's my question: What tire would you run and with what gear ratio?

Here is a little more info on the car if needed: 355 SBC Pump gas with Double Hump Heads, 490 lift comp cam, Edelbrock 600 carburetor, HEI Distributor.

I was shifting at 5500 RPM with the TH350, I'm not sure how the Powerglide will turn out, I've never driven a car with a Glide in it (take it easy on me, I'm only 21). I really don't think I need to push my engine over 6000. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Kyle Baskins

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
In your case i don't think i glide will help you. However if you really want it I would run a 29.5 x 9 ET drag and 4.88 gears and get a custom convertor based on your combo from a reputable company. A glide is more suited to a car with big torque.

BaskinsRacing

Apr 27, 2017
Florence, AL
prairiehotrodder said:
In your case i don't think i glide will help you. However if you really want it I would run a 29.5 x 9 ET drag and 4.88 gears and get a custom convertor based on your combo from a reputable company. A glide is more suited to a car with big torque.

Would that combo still be sufficient if I decided later to put a 454 in it?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
A 454 will like the glide more than your 350. It will also be happier with less gear such as your current 4.10's. I would build the car based on what you have rather than on what you might someday have. Choose a direction and set a goal. If you want a big block then fine, go for it. Just don't dump a bunch of money into the small block on your way. I would suggest having fun for while and getting accustomed to the car rather than tearing stuff apart in a big exspensive effort to go faster. I guess i'm just getting old but i like to see young guys learn and have fun rather than getting burned out quickly.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!