Upgrading Braks

dinosport

Daily Driver
Jul 21, 2015
Upgrading brakes. I have a 78 malibu. I have the spindles and calipers for the front s10 brake upgrade and i have the backing plates and calipiers for the rear disk conversion. My question really is does anybody have this combo and how did it workout? Will I need to upgrade the master in any way. There are a few postings of manual brake conversions but i assume there running set ups were the engine isnt making enough vacuum anyway.
Any info would be helpful and appreciated. I would like to do it right the first time. Thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I have no experience with the S10 conversion, but you will need a disc/disc master cylinder and combo valve.

Tommy

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio

Last edited by a moderator:

dinosport

Daily Driver
Jul 21, 2015
Thanks guys. I did see that thread about the s10 upgrade. I haven't seen a thread though we're the guy had both
S10 up front and ls1 rear.
If I need a master and possible per portioning valve or whatever, does anybody know what master they used, or how well or bad it worked with the factory master?
Thanks again I appreciate it. Right now the car is at paint. I can't wait to get it back and I'll snap some pics to post.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I run both Blazer front and LS1 rears ( I am likely in the gbf thread as well ). Some may argue but I have been running the setup for quite some time now ( 5 years or so ). And put on at least 40 thousand kms since the swap. I never did get around to swapping the prop valve, MC or even hooking up the parking brake LOL. No ill effects that I have noticed thus far.
My understanding is the residual pressure from the "drum / disk " MC will have my calipers riding on the rear rotors but I have seen no overheating or noticeable brake dust. And the stock " drum/disk" prop valve is limiting the line pressure to my rear disks rendering them slightly less effective.

Sure its on my " to-do" list but so are a dozen other things.

Either way its a great setup for not much investment. Easily my #1 driveway upgrade to any Gbody. And its saved my butt once already when a dumptruck pulled out in front of me at 80 kph. 100% certain the stock brakes would have had me well under that dumptruck instead of stopping inches short of a collision.

dinosport

Daily Driver
Jul 21, 2015
axisg said:
I run both Blazer front and LS1 rears ( I am likely in the gbf thread as well ). Some may argue but I have been running the setup for quite some time now ( 5 years or so ). And put on at least 40 thousand kms since the swap. I never did get around to swapping the prop valve, MC or even hooking up the parking brake LOL. No ill effects that I have noticed thus far.
My understanding is the residual pressure from the "drum / disk " MC will have my calipers riding on the rear rotors but I have seen no overheating or noticeable brake dust. And the stock " drum/disk" prop valve is limiting the line pressure to my rear disks rendering them slightly less effective.

Sure its on my " to-do" list but so are a dozen other things.

Either way its a great setup for not much investment. Easily my #1 driveway upgrade to any Gbody. And its saved my butt once already when a dumptruck pulled out in front of me at 80 kph. 100% certain the stock brakes would have had me well under that dumptruck instead of stopping inches short of a collision.

Thanks for the response. That's what I wanted to know. I guess I'll go ahead and get what I need to finish the swap. I saw saw on another thread that my 15's may not fit. I have chrome aftermarket rally wheels. I want to sway them eventually anyways but I was hoping to keep them for this yr while I save for what I really want. Anybody happen to try these?

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
All you can do is try. We tried every 15" wheel we could get our hands on. Seems the steel wheels would not fit. 442, GN, Corvette Rally, Disco Camaro were all tried. I run the 15" alum Monte SS wheel and they just clear the rear calipers.

dinosport

Daily Driver
Jul 21, 2015
Thanks, I guess all I can do is try the wheels I just have to try to figure it out before I install them incase I need wheels.
I have another question. Some guys say I should run an adjustable proportioning valve and adjust it to my liking, I have no idea actually aside from stopping really hard how that should be adjusted. Has anyone tried running a proportioning valve from another car that came with disk in the rear? Like the camaro or the s10? I know they have abs so I dont know if that will make a difference? Some earlier cars that had rear disk without abs maybe?

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
make a friend with a 98-03 Fbody and see if your wheel fits. Or you contact the manufacturer to see if it fits that 98-03 application.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!