Ford 8.8 swap....

A

Anonymous

If you rewelded the lower mounts.... The axles are very similar in width. What about the upper control arms? I wonder if the differnce in the "ears" is too substantial. I plan on running spherical bushings on both ends.

I just thouht about it... 8.8 is a dime a dozen (so are 7.5 housings) I wonder if you could combine the two?

8.5s are getting $$$ and hard too find so are 12 bolts.

Perryk

Dragway Regular
Jun 22, 2005
montana
good idea

I have read that some V8 S10s are using them. But they need a huge backspacing for wheels.

Why wouldnt it work well with a custom pair of control arms?

And those older foxbodies are running 9s with the 8.8.

Perry

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
i actually have a old carcraft...i believe that has a blue malibu with a 8.8 under it. i check tomorrow if i can find it.

Wagonized

Dragway Regular
May 25, 2003
abbotsford bc canada
www.cardomain.com
a lot of s10 guys do this swap because the shock mounts are the same, control arms in the same place, and the leafs obviously work with it. Aswell as the same brakelines. Just needs a $20 driveshaft adapter

i think its about 3 inches wider total (although it might be per side) so most guys get corvette or camaro wheels to fit.

also the explorer comes stock with 3:23, 3:55 or 3:73 gearing, very commonly a decent posi, always 31 spline axles and sometimes disc rear brakes.

All in all its a great upgrade for an s10 but in a gbody its basically the same amount of fabbing as any other non fitting rear.

A

Anonymous

Whats is the actual measurment backing plate to backing plate on a 7.5? Anyone know off hand?

I may just go measure my Cutlass...

Reason I am so interested is that I have an 8.8 from a fox that was removed years ago it still looks brand new. Its 5-lug conversion with 4.10's already. Just somthing I have laying around.

May have to add a 5 on 4.5 wheels on the back but oh well...

A

Anonymous

I just measured both of them...

Ford 8.8 = 54 1/8"

Chev 7.5 = 54 1/2"

pretty dang close

A

Anonymous

and...

what can be cool is that most weld draglites are 5x4.75 AND 5x4.5 so maybe you can muster up a set and just use diff holes and no one will be the wiser!
rob

ps---8.8 fan here

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I think the 8.8 is a great rear if you can adapt it to our cars. They're a heck of alot more plentiful than GN, 442, T-Type 8.5 rears.
Jack ;)

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
This is interesting....

A

Anonymous

i think i am going to look for one. now any explorer rear? are they posi? that be sweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!