Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 am 
Dragway Regular

So I'm suing the stock radiator and shroud (cut down) that was in my Camino when it had the 6 pooper.
I installed a 350 and put a stock 19 inch 4 blade fan on it. It's an older style fixed fan but it did it's job fairly well.
It got to temps in the 210+ range one time when it was ungodly hot but that's it. There was a lot of idling waiting in traffic when it happened.

I purchased a factory G-Body 5 blade clutch fan that I'm still waiting to show up.
I'm planning on installing the Hayden HD Fan Clutch at the same time.

I'm wondering how much HP that system can cool without issues on a real hot day.
This is a daily driver putting out less than 400 HP and I don't have Air Conditioning.

Would a factory 7 blade clutch fan be simple overkill?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:38 am 
Pro Stocker

There are several factors that relate to keeping it cool.
1. Thermostat operating temperature. What temp degree are you running ?
2. Radiator capacity. Is it a stock V6 two core radiator ? 3 core, aluminum, etc. ?
3. Timing. This can play a big role in if the engine runs hot. Initial, vacuum, total timing, all play a part.
4. How much airflow is being "pulled" through the radiator. The stock fan shroud is designed to accomplish this. The fan blades are 1/2 way inside the shroud and 1/2 way out..........causing the air to be drawn "through" the radiator. The shroud also helps to direct the air across the engine (most people miss this important part by using electric fans and no shroud).
5. Air dam. The purpose is so air is directed to the radiator while driving. Without is, the dynamics cause the air to go around the car. Are you running the factory lower air dam ?
6. Spark Plug heat range. Having the correct heat range spark plug and carb air/fuel ratio is critical. Ask me how I know. lol
7. Under hood heat. All that hot air has to escape. If your running a stock hood, remove the under hood insulation and cowl panel weather strip molding (save it for rainy days).
8. Water pump. Is it old, new, time to replace ?
9. Radiator cap. This little do-hicky does more than close the cooling system. Its a relief valve that keeps the system pressurized. (read up on it) higher pressure=higher boiling point

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

If you have a V8 radiator you should be fine. Contrary to popular belief (myth?), t-stat opening temp is not the same as engine operating temp. A 160 stat does not mean your engine will run at 160. It just means the stat opens at 160. The only way that would happen is if the radiator & pump were capable of over cooling the system. If the pump, radiator, fan or any other factor in the system is not up to snuff, you'll still run hot.

Tommy

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:54 pm 
Dragway Regular

Specifics:
81 El Camino Originally equipped with a V6

1. I'm still using the stock radiator that came with it so yes I guess it's a 6 cylinder radiator.
(I was told they are a 3 core???)

2. The stock 6 cylinder fan shroud has been cut down length wise so that the fan blades are approx 1/2 way in the shroud.

3. Currently the mechanical 4 blade fan sits in front of a factory 2inch spacer.
I purchased a factory G-Body 5 blade clutch fan and assume it will sit approximately the same distence into the shroud.
(I have not visualy confirmed this yet)
Fan will be equipped with the Hayden Heavt Duty 2747 Fan Clutch.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-2747/overview/

4. Using the Robert Shaw high flow style 180 thermostat
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-3 ... /chevrolet

5. Using the 16 psi Stant Racing Radiator cap
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CK ... UTF8&psc=1

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Other than the mystery of the radiator, I say give it a shot. Fan spacing sounds *reasonable*, I note most factory setups have the fan about 2\3 into the shroud. Can't hurt to try it...

Tommy

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 pm 
Pro Stocker

Im not 100% sure........but every V6 I came across, stock, had a 2 core. The factory V8's I have seen had the 3 core.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 pm 
Dragway Regular

My 78 Malibu had a factory 2-core radiator (copper/brass). It was an original V8 car, however, with shroud to match.

I ran a STANDARD clutch fan, not even the HD unit. The HD unit will pull more air, but it tends to "roar" when cold or at higher RPMs, and I've found it is completely unnecessary- the standard duty thermostatically-compensated factory-stock unit works just fine. It cooled my mild supercharged 383 with no problems under all conditions. I have since upgraded to a factory 4-core rad from a similar-vintage Olds 442, which made no difference whatsoever over the original 2-core rad!

Note: modern aluminum stock-replacement radiators with the plastic end tanks will typically be only one or two core (with wide, flat coolant passages). Despite fewer "cores" they will cool as good or better than the old copper/brass radiators.

78 Malibu- Grandmother's go-to-church car with 35K original miles. Out with the smogger 2bbl 305. In with a really mild 383 topped with a Weiand 142 "underhood" blower. Once again running good. I may never drive it again.

1990 454SS pickup. 461 with AFR heads, lumpy solid lifter cam and the usual go-fast trimmings. Dangerous, loud, horribly inefficient and lots of fun.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 pm 
Dragway Regular

Damon wrote:
I ran a STANDARD clutch fan, not even the HD unit. The HD unit will pull more air, but it tends to "roar" when cold or at higher RPMs, and I've found it is completely unnecessary- the standard duty thermostatically-compensated factory-stock unit works just fine.

Thanks for noting that!
I hate that so it may be worth a shot using a standard application piece.
I see they list a 2705 and a 2707.
What's the difference?

Edit:
Humm just looked it up on their site. There's a difference in the Fan Mounting Height.
It's "basically" how far the fan is spaced out from the pulley.
The HD 2747 unit is spec'd at 1.62inch.
2705 is 1.53
2707 is 2.03

I'm gunna have to get the new fan on the motor and see where the fan blade depth is then make the call.
There's also a spec for how far away the front of the fan clutch should be from the radiator to sense the heat properly.
I don't know what that distance should be.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 am 
Dragway Regular

Yes 305 v8 is a 2 core. Mine was. I wanted to be safe so I had a 3 core done for the car with the stock shroud and never had a problem maintaining 180.

My old 78
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/ ... usquet.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:35 am 
Pro Stocker

Its not so much how far the fan is from the radiator, it needs to be right at the edge, half in half out of the shroud.

Do yourself a favor, get V-8 shroud and radiator. The radiator on the v-8 cars is a good 6 or 8 inches wider. Gotta hit up a fellow G-body guy or good old fashioned salvage yard. I would run a new (for insurance) replacement aluminum radiator they are in-expensive, around $120 new at most parts stores.

That coupled with your ne fan clutch will be a life cycle of use without hassle or worry.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm 
Dragway Regular

Bar50 wrote:
Do yourself a favor, get V-8 shroud and radiator. The radiator on the v-8 cars is a good 6 or 8 inches wider. Gotta hit up a fellow G-body guy or good old fashioned salvage yard. I would run a new (for insurance) replacement aluminum radiator they are in-expensive, around $120 new at most parts stores.

Hmm
I've never heard about the V8 radiator being wider. I thought they just had more cores.
I might try to do that if I can find it for cheap enough.
If I can't I might try the F-Body radiator but I don't know about a shroud. I don't think a G body shroud would match up to it very well and I don't really want to go to an electric fan just yet.

If I do that I want to go with a MK VIII, maybe the Intrepid with all the relays and a nicer alternater.
I can't afford to do all that right now.

Last edited by HellCamino on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 am 
Pro Stocker

F-body radiator will fit with the G-body V8 shroud.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 am 
Pro Stocker

By the way, I ran the V8 radiator & shroud in my '87 Regal with a 455 Buick, no issues. Same with the '78 GP I put a 400 Pontiac into.

The easiest way to tell if you have the narrow V6 radiator is that it is way narrower than the opening in the core support on the driver's side. The V6 has an air deflector to take up the space and divert air through the narrower radiator core.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 pm 
Dragway Regular

Bar50 wrote:
The easiest way to tell if you have the narrow V6 radiator is that it is way narrower than the opening in the core support on the driver's side. The V6 has an air deflector to take up the space and divert air through the narrower radiator core.

I just went and looked. I would be hard pressed to get a wider radiator in there.
Looking down toward the bottom of the radiator, both sides are only about 1inch away from hitting part of the core structure.
There is no air deflector and I don't remember one ever being there.

I'm pretty sure this was the stock radiator and the shroud fits it perfectly.
They were both on there when I got it, along with the v6 that I took out.

Perhaps as Ancient Alien Theorists speculate El Caminos got the V8 radiator regardless of the engine because they thought someone would tow or haul things with it expecting some extra cooling demand.
Perhaps because of expected heavier loads some v6 wagons came with the v8 radiator and shroud as well?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:28 am 
Dragway Regular

Got my Factory 5 blade on.
The blades are sitting at least half way in the shroud, if not just a touch more.

Board index » GENERAL » General Discussion