Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL » General Discussion

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am 
Frequent Racer

Guys, I know that mounting a front fiberglass bumper can be done several ways, but I found a simple way to mount mine, so I figured I would post it to give others some ideas.

First I had a friend that is good with fiberglass cut about 1.5 inches out of both sides of a Harwood bumper and blend it back smooth.

Then I spray can primered it and sanded it with a Scotchbright pad, then cleaned it with thinner.

I chose a can of color match paint form Advance in a color that I felt would bring the least attention to the fact that I have a glass bumper. It is a silver with a bronze tint, but the photos make it look gray. The color match paint cans have a nice fan nozzel, and I have a handle attachment that makes painting much easier.

Next I fitted the bumper so that the sides covered the gap at the fenders and I fabbed some .090 aluminum mounts by clamping the mount between the work bench and a piece of wood and bending the angles in. Notice that I did not tuck the bumper too far, again, I didnt want too much attention on the effort to lighten the car.

I used the factory holes in the frame horns and the center hole in the radiator support (I dont like making new holes unless I have to). Then I drilled the mounts and the bumper and mounted the bumper using button head bolts, small washers, and lock nuts.

Now for the top, I was stumped for a bit, but I finally decided to just use some course body screws that have a nice big washer attached under the head. They come in a small package at Advance. I simply drilled a pilot hole through the bumper and into the bottom of the header panel/grille in five locations and screwed the top of the bumper to the bottom of the header panel/grille.

It worked out well, the bumper is very secure, and this can be done with the simplest of tools.

After doing this, I have a new set of Ice Man brackets that I never used.....

Special thanks to Allen at Kolors Custom Paint in Elm City N.C. for the buddy deal on the fiberglass work!

Here are some pics......

83 Wagoon
Its got faded paint,
baby on board signs,
and factory hub caps!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:51 am 
Pro Stocker

Yep, that's what I do. Instead of having the lower brackets mounted on the outside lip of the lower bumper.............bend the bracket so it sits "inside" of the lip. Its a much cleaner look and the brackets aren't as visible. All you need now are some bumperettes (bumper guards) !

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:49 pm 
Frequent Racer

nice post I have both a fully tucked bumper and a harwood fact. width bumper,nice work.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 pm 
Frequent Racer

Finally, someone showed how They did it. Besides going with a tucked glass bumper that everyone knows is fiberglass. The one you installed is the one I prefer. Bet you dropped 75lbs off the nose too. Now i'm thinking real hard!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Dragway Regular

Looks good.. Nice work...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm 
Pro Stocker

Do you have any pics of how it is attached on the top side?

G/N 8.5 4.10 w/ Richmond locker

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 pm 
Frequent Racer

malibulvr wrote:
Do you have any pics of how it is attached on the top side?

No, its just screwed in from the top of the bumper, the bumper sits against/under the header panel/grille, and I just drilled a pilot hole and screwed the screws in....

83 Wagoon
Its got faded paint,
baby on board signs,
and factory hub caps!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:16 pm 
Frequent Racer

rock wrote:
Yep, that's what I do. Instead of having the lower brackets mounted on the outside lip of the lower bumper.............bend the bracket so it sits "inside" of the lip. Its a much cleaner look and the brackets aren't as visible. All you need now are some bumperettes (bumper guards) !

I agree, but my car is so low, you cannot see the brackets....

83 Wagoon
Its got faded paint,
baby on board signs,
and factory hub caps!

Board index » GENERAL » General Discussion