Door Interchange for A/G Body cars

Evil_Regal

Amateur Racer
Aug 10, 2004
Philly, PA
pages.prodigy.net
Door interchange is a common thing that comes up with our A/G body cars and the fact they are getting harder to find. I have compiled a bunch of images of the door areas and potential things to look for when looking at interchanging doors with these cars.
Highlighted in red is an area where the fender meets the door, you will find there are several different styles here.
I have put arrows in the pics showing the body lines on these doors, which is another potential problem area.

I have not taken everything into account as far as any door lengths, and I have not tried fitting these doors on every model of A/G body, this is merely a guide to show you the potential problem areas that I can tell. Other areas that could be problematic are window shape/sizes, trim locations etc... Please help update this guide if I have missed anything or if you have anything else to add and I will update the original post.

Thanks and enjoy

Early Regal 1978-1980
earlyregal.jpg

Late Regal 1981-1987
lateregal.jpg

Early Grand Prix 1978-1980
earlygrandprix.jpg

Late Grand Prix and 2+2 1981-1987
twoplustwo.jpg

Early Monte 1978-1980
earlymonte.jpg

Late Monte 1981-1987
latemonte.jpg

Early Cutlass 1978-1980

earlycutlass.jpg

Late Cutlass 1981-1987
latecutlass.jpg

El Camino 1978-1987

elcamino.jpg

Malibu 1978-1983
malibu.jpg

Chucklehead

Daily Driver
Jul 30, 2010
Re: Door Interchange for A/G Body cars ***Sticky?***

I know this thread has been around for a while, but just from eyeballing the photos, would I be correct in assuming late regal and late cutlass body lines are the same? It make me consider putting a late cutlass front clip on a late regal, as I love the late regal rears.....just wondering...

Evil_Regal

Amateur Racer
Aug 10, 2004
Philly, PA
pages.prodigy.net

Looks very similar to me, the wheel wells & lines being the noticeable difference.
lateregal.jpg
latecutlass.jpg

Blake442

Amateur Racer

As far as 2-doors are concerned...
'81-'87 Cutlass and Regal doors are interchangeable.
'78-'87 El Camino, '78-'81 Malibu/Grand Am/LeMans doors are interchangeable.
I think those are the only ones... The rest are unique to each body-style.

For 4-doors...
Chevy and Pontiac will interchange, and Buick and Olds will interchange.
Front doors are interchangeable between sedans and wagons.
Rear door window frames are different, and are wagon or sedan only.

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT

NICE THREAD! VERY USEFUL INFORMATION TO THOSE WHO NEED IT!! :D

wagonman100

Apr 23, 2011

Don't forget about the doors for a Pontiac Bonneville after they downsized it in '82 are the same as a Malibu. But like the Malibu, they were only available as 4 doors and wagons.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com

I am pretty sure that the 78-80 Regal and Cutlass doors will interchange, and it looks like the 78-80 Grand Prix might also use the same door. Anybody have any more information on that? I have Google searched a little bit and have not come up with anything definite.

faststang

Daily Driver
Jul 15, 2007
Magnolia, Ky

does anyone know for sure if a 87 elcamino is the same as a 80 malibu im finding conflicting results?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

faststang said:
does anyone know for sure if a 87 elcamino is the same as a 80 malibu im finding conflicting results?
yes the doors are the same,you'll have to replace the elcamino glass with your malibu glass they are a diffrent shape.other than that your good

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!