MIG WELDING ALTERNATIVES

A

Anonymous

ANYONE HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVES TO A MIG WELDER?? IM NOT TRYIN TO BUY ONE JUST TO WELD A COUPLE OF PATCHES. CAN I USE SOMETHING ELSE

~7879landau

Pro Stocker
May 10, 2005
If you have access to an arc welder it can be done. Before I bought a mig I used an arc welder to weld in a patch panel on my fender. I'm not an expert welder so I just bought some easy to use rods and turned the power down. When I welded I ran short weld and gave them time to cool. I also scraped off the slag in between welds.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
barnym17 said:
use a torch and gas weld em.was used all the time before mig became popular

Yep.

Check your local welding outfit, too. Plenty of places will rent out equipment.

XgrimmyX

Daily Driver
Sep 10, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa.
I HIGHLY recommend 3m's panel bond adhesive ( I think the number is 8115). You need the gun and tips, but on repair panels that are sheet metal, this stuff is great. No weld-thru primer needed, and it sands down like body filler. I flanged the edges of my 1/4 repair panels, grinded them down with a 50 grit wheel on a die grinder, and used sheetmetal self-tappers to hold it in place until the next day. Then I just grinded down the screw heads flat, and did some minor plastic work to finish it off. And me pushing it with all my weight, the repair area didn't budge, It actually shook the whole car lol. I had to take pix of both 1/4's cuz I forgot to take a pic while I had them cut out. Oh and I almost forgot, I left about 1/2 inch of extra metal at the edges of the repair panels to actually brush the adhesive onto and screw into.

Attachments

• th_PIC-0046.jpg
    th_PIC-0046.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,713
  • th_PIC-0047.jpg
    th_PIC-0047.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 2,719

hevychevy567

Frequent Racer
Nov 24, 2007
Queens New York
I have used the same stuff works great. No reason to weld with this stuff. i highly reccomend it. very easy to use and comes out great.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
hevychevy567 said:
I have used the same stuff works great. No reason to weld with this stuff. i highly reccomend it. very easy to use and comes out great.[/quote
Do you have the part numbers ?

hevychevy567

Frequent Racer
Nov 24, 2007
Queens New York
Sem Paint 39747 MULTI-PURPOSE PANEL ADHESIVE SEM PLAST REPAIR/ ... Sem Paint 39747 MULTI-PURPOSE PANEL ADHESIVE

This stuff dries hard as a rock. really good stuff.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Here ya are:

http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?cat=20

bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!