Windshield Moulding

walkerbe

Daily Driver
Sep 22, 2013
I have spent countless hours trying to polish the oxidation off and it seems every method I have tried has either been too aggressive and tries to leave scratches that are tough to buff out or not aggressive enough and takes 3 hours to cut through a 6 inch section of oxidation. I was wondering what is the best way to go about cleaning this stuff or if there is some aftermarket chrome that will work in its place?

Thanks in advance.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
that trim has a clear anodized finish on it,you'd need to remove it in order to polish it out.

walkerbe

Daily Driver
Sep 22, 2013
1981Regal said:
What are you trying or using? Have you ever used autosol?

I have been using medium grit sandpaper to cut down oxidation and clear film and gradually using a finer grit. Once I've got that cut down I've been using a rubbing compound and California Customs Purple Polish/Maguires mag polish to try to eliminate any scratching. It comes out very shiny but has a lot of tiny barely noticeable scratches that you can see when you look at it close. It has me wondering if those scratches are a result of trying to polish 38 year old chrome/poorly executed chrome plating or if the sanding I'm doing is a little too aggressive. These steps are fairly quick and somewhat effective but I'm not a big fan of the scratches...

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
May want to try a higher grit sandpaper 1500 or so. There is also grey Scotch Brite scrub sheets that are 1000 grit and seem to work good.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!