Aftermarket fender problem?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I am installing the hood on my 78. I can't bolt the hood spring to the fender, due to the hood flange being too wide. What is the risk to grinding the flange down to make it fit?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
when you say hood flange,what do you mean?the hood end of the spring bolts to the hood hinge half of the hood hinge assembly.if you bolt the hood spring to both the top and bottom part of the hood hinge assembly it shouldn't be coming in contact with the hood at all.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
When I said hood flange, I was talking about the area where the hood rests when closed. There is one bolt that goes below into the fender. This can't be put in the hole due to the strap going to the spring portion is rubbing on the fender between the bolt and the spring portion. Thanks for your help.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
ok so the spring assembly bolts up fine to the top part of the hinge where it meets the hood and where it's suppose to bolt to the fender it rubs the inside of the fender so much where you can start the bolt?i know the bolt that holds the bottom of the spring to the inside of fender has a collar to it that spaces it out a bit and allows it to rotate freely when it's tightened down. unlike a regular non shouldered bolt would pull it against the fender to close and stop it from pivoting.if you had the spring facing the wrong way it would make trouble for you also.it needs to face foward

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
The hinges are in their proper places, they were never removed. The hood flange is twice as wide as the original fenders. This is what makes it not fit. What happens if I grind the flange off the fender around the hinge strap?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Then the spring straps will fit. This is common with aftermarket (and some OE) parts...they require some "adjusting" to fit.

Trim as necessary and don't look back.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. I was concerned about if the fender would be weaker. Other than the extra work fitting them, the fenders are looking good and are heavier than what I removed.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!