79 Wagon side moulding and roof rack questions

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
i was wondering if the trim on the side of my wagon comes off easily and whats done with the holes or mounting hardware that the trim sits on? id like to smooth the body out as best i can before priming and paint the car, im also thinking about getting rid of the roof rack but i kind of like it too..... does anyone have pictures of their wagon or coupe with in between primer, body work and paint progress? it would be much appreciated.... thanks PEACE...

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
If it is/was a woody, there are a LOT of weld studs that will have to come off on the sides. There will also be a bunch of holes to weld up where the retainer strips are in the jambs, and at the ends of the door moldings.

Roofrack will leave 15 small holes to weld up, and 8 pretty large ones.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
thanks for the info...it sounds like too much work for my lack of skills... i may just work around them and paint it differently. i was wanting to paint it with stripes down the middle but it seems that's going to be a little harder than i anticipated... oh well atleast plan B will work.. PEACE...

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
The last wagon I had was an ex-woody...I grew to like the 2-tone that had replaced the "wood". The roofrack, not so much.

When i removed the roofrack, I used some flush plastic hole plugs I got from our PDR guy, and glued them in. You could do that, and just paint the plugs, which would leave the possibility of putting the rack back on if you later decided to use it. I left the skid strips on the car, they weren't really that prominent on a light colored car.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks ribbed.. I am tossing around letting a body shop do the work on grinding the t*ts down, holes welded on the fenders and primed if they dont want to charge a arm and a leg. I could donthe grinding and sanding and primed but the welding would have to wait...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!