Flattening agent

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
try the SU4985 Universal Matting Agent,I'm not sure what line of clear your using but it can be used in a few of their clear lines and dcc also.have you ever used the flex&flat clear?I've had good luck with it.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Im not putting it in clear. Its going in black acrylic enamel. I still use the old school stuff. I had a quart of DX and as it was getting down to the end I thought I'd be a smart azz and pre mix a pint of black so the color would always be the same for the small parts. I added the last bit of the 685, mixed it, and put it in the cabinet. For some reason it didnt flatten out at all the next time I used it. Now I have to paint some small parts and unless the supply has a replacement for the 685 I have to figure out a different solution. I do have a SEM hot rod flatz kit. Maybe I'll try that today.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
there is one thing I've notice over the years,weather I'm using a flat clear or a flattening agent in my basecoat,it needs to be stirred very very well rite before mixing.it doesn't behave like the other tints on the bank.maybe from the time you mixed it and to the time you sprayed it may have settled enough where it wasn't giving you the low gloss you were used to.that SU4985 can be used in single stage too.I'm not sure what line your using but its worth a look.I'm a big fan of sem's hot rod black,red and the white it's good product and it's the same every time.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I hear what you saying about mixing it. Ive opened the DX685 and its all settled to the bottom of the can. It takes forever to mix it at that point. I used to run up to the local hardware store and the guy would throw the qt can into his paint shaker for 3 or 4 cycles. I think the issue I had was you cant leave the stuff premixed for that long of a time.
I didnt get to use the SEM stuff today. The weather looked funky so Im going to spray it all tomorrow.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I'm not sure who told you that they disco'd DX685 but they didn't according to the local PPG distributor I asked today. He said it was talked about for a while until they realized that SU4985 matting agent introduces a color shade difference in most formulas. There were 2 new quarts and one on the mixing bank

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ah, you revived an old thread ! lol. I gave up on using the old method. Ive been spraying everything with SEM Hot Rod Black. Its the same color right out of the can every time with no BS. Great stuff. Its a 2K paint. I just did some things with it on Sunday.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!