Conquista trim on a bu??????

MALObu

Amateur Racer
Aug 27, 2010
los angeles,ca
I have a question pertaining to the fitment of "conquista" trim(el camino) being able to fit on a Malibu? I know the front portions will,as they are the same(fenders,doors,)but will/can I swap out the rear trim from an el to a bu?mostly concerned with wheel well trim,and if it is adaptable?I figure the rest(behind door,and tire) I could trim to fit.did the Malibu ever come with lower body trim,like the conquista?has anyone done this? ?????

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
No,the Malibu was never made with the chrome body side molding.You are correct about the fenders and doors but I believe anything beyond that you will have to custom make.I'm pretty sure the chrome rear wheel opening molding is different from a Malibu to an El Camino.So not only would you need to make the pieces on the side fit but also the rear wheel opening molding.You might be able to get the factory chrome wheel opening molding from a Malibu and cut it down to where it will match the body side moldings.If you can pull it off post some pics,I think it would look nice.

MALObu

Amateur Racer
Aug 27, 2010
los angeles,ca
Thanks for the reply and clarification!!! I will get some pics up after I pull it off:) currently finishing up molding in my t-roof:)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Malibu wagons had optional body side moldings that were connected to the wheel well moldings, but they were on the wood trim package & were tan, not chrome. IDK if the wagon had the same wheel well shape as an Eky, but they're definitely both different from the sedan/coupe, so I don't know if it's a direct fit...

Tommy

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
The difference in wheelwell moldings from camino/wagon to coupe/sedan are related to the length/shape at the rear lower portion below the body line. Conquista quarter moldings would work, after shortening the portion ahead of the wheel and cutting the length behind to fit. Hardest part is going to be making the bends to close the ends without mashing the aluminum horribly and crazing the clear anodized finish.

Personally, unless you're going to 2-tone the car, I don't care for the moldings. See a lot of Caminos that have been painted a single color with the Conquista moldings still on, and IMO they don't look very good that way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!