Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Autobody/Paint Technical

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm 
Amateur Racer

I have a question pertaining to the fitment of "conquista" trim(el camino) being able to fit on a Malibu? I know the front portions will,as they are the same(fenders,doors,)but will/can I swap out the rear trim from an el to a bu?mostly concerned with wheel well trim,and if it is adaptable?I figure the rest(behind door,and tire) I could trim to fit.did the Malibu ever come with lower body trim,like the conquista?has anyone done this? ?????

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 pm 
Dragway Regular

No,the Malibu was never made with the chrome body side molding.You are correct about the fenders and doors but I believe anything beyond that you will have to custom make.I'm pretty sure the chrome rear wheel opening molding is different from a Malibu to an El Camino.So not only would you need to make the pieces on the side fit but also the rear wheel opening molding.You might be able to get the factory chrome wheel opening molding from a Malibu and cut it down to where it will match the body side moldings.If you can pull it off post some pics,I think it would look nice.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 am 
Amateur Racer

Thanks for the reply and clarification!!! I will get some pics up after I pull it off:) currently finishing up molding in my t-roof:)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:47 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Malibu wagons had optional body side moldings that were connected to the wheel well moldings, but they were on the wood trim package & were tan, not chrome. IDK if the wagon had the same wheel well shape as an Eky, but they're definitely both different from the sedan/coupe, so I don't know if it's a direct fit...

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm 
Top Fueler

The difference in wheelwell moldings from camino/wagon to coupe/sedan are related to the length/shape at the rear lower portion below the body line. Conquista quarter moldings would work, after shortening the portion ahead of the wheel and cutting the length behind to fit. Hardest part is going to be making the bends to close the ends without mashing the aluminum horribly and crazing the clear anodized finish.

Personally, unless you're going to 2-tone the car, I don't care for the moldings. See a lot of Caminos that have been painted a single color with the Conquista moldings still on, and IMO they don't look very good that way.

Board index » TECHNICAL » Autobody/Paint Technical