Bad Rust-should I try to fix this or not? Suggestions?

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Trying to decide if I want to try to repair the majority of the rust in my car to make it live for a reasonable amount of time, or just find a donor body to put on my frame. I just got this car back and when I had it the first time I knew it was rusty but was just wanting a race car that I could occasionally drive on the street and it didn't have to be perfect, and honestly it didn't look bad from the outside. This time I want to end up with a nice car that I can be proud of on cruise night and if the local track ever opens back up I can make an occasional race.

First off the car has already been max frame notched, braced, mini-tubbed, frame crossmembers added, and a 8-point cage added. The car doesn't look that bad from first glance outside, but has bad rust below the windsheild and in the upper firewall, also between the the back glass and trunklid in the hinge area. That section had been repaired before with fiberglass but now is seperated and it's spreading into the quarter panels. Inside the floors were pretty bad and have already patched them but there is still rust holes at the bottom of the kick panels, and where the sun visors would screw in the hole is jagged and rusty. The interior I beleive I can patch up and add carpet and no one will know the difference, but the exterior issues I an worried if I cut it all out and add new metal in will it last a reasonable amout of time or will it just come back out.

Take a look at the pics and give me your opinion, should I try to repair all of the rust or just look for a rust free donor body. Also, if you have any pointers on how to repair that would be great too!

These first pics are from the lower windsheild and firewall area. You can't see it in the pics but the VIN plate is even starting to rust away,LOL:

photo5jpg3.jpg

photo6jpg5.jpg

photo8ayj.jpg

Rear glass area area at the quarter panels. I am planning on removing the rear filler panel on Tuesday when I am off work and see just how bad it is. It doesn't look good from inside the trunk for sure.

photo5jpg2.jpg

photo7ec.jpg

photo5hy.jpg

It also has some rust holes in the lower rear quarters but I think it can be repaired pretty easily.

5l85k55ma3ef3l33nfca889.jpg

There was also bad rust around the inner rear wheel wells but it all got cut out when we did the mini-tub and frame notch. Bad part is either way all of the rear cage bars have to be redone in order to reinstall a back seat.

5g15e25j73e43fc3m7ca82a.jpg

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I would start looking for a rust free donor then slide your frame with running gear complete under it ( if your frame is good ). Its always cheaper to buy a car in good shape than to make a rusty car good again.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
t5montecarlo said:
The windshield looks like it is cracked. Did it crack due to the rust in the window frame?

No, the crack is from when I owned it before evidently a neiborhood kid with a BB gun. It really needed replacing anyways though. I'm off tomorrow hopefully I can get some things done tomorrow.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
This is a Florida car?
I'm all for taking this body off, and finding another donor body to use. It's not worth it when there are a lot less rusty cars to begin with. You'll be chasing rust forever. Once it starts......... Unless, you're really attached to this for some reason. I gave up when my original Malibu looked like this (it was even less rusty), and I started over. I parted the car out, made a bit of money, then used that to help fund my new one. I now have 3 that are nice, and 2 of them have absolutely zero rust. They're out there...keep looking.

80G427

Daily Driver
Sep 16, 2012
Central Maine
I went down that same road with my first one. I bought a roller and put all my interior, chrome, and running gear in it. If i knew then what i know now i could have fixed my first one. But it is nice to have something thats not patched up.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Was out running around with my son yesterday and found a nice landau Malibu all stock in really good condition with a perfect body and slightly worn interior. Stopped and knocked on the door lady said was prob going to sell would think about it and call me. So...gonna wait a few days and stop back by and push a little if I havent heard from her. Killin me cause I want to jump out there and dig into my other Malibu, but know I'd be better off if I can get a good rust free car. If not I'll just dig in and repair what I can and make it look good for now.

I know that most of the replies are to def find another car, but just to let you know, these cars are really friggin hard to find down here that are in decent shape. Most of them were destroyed on the dirt tracks and asphaly roundy round racing. I see constantly on the forum about peeps finding these cars in the mid to northern US, and even see them on Ebay and such , but I cannot travel that far to get a vehicle.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I went to Corry Station for school when I first joined the Squid force in 1994. I had two 'bu's down there, a 78 and a 79. The 78 wasn't too bad, I think sprayed bombed paint over nice paint made it look worse. I traded for a POS M/C, then the guy junked the car. That car had the factory "sky roof", only two that Iv'e seen. The 79 wasn't much better, had a 2" hole in the pass side windshield pillar, and the foot area in the back seat was gone IIRC.

The last Malibu I had was from FLA too. Southern cars still rust, but from the top down. Northeast from the bottom up. I'd think it would be easier to find another car that to fix this one. With the other car, you can make it look good while your still driving this one....

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
jut my two cents, definitely get a new body. i drove from chicago to the southern tip of georgia to get my '80, and it still has the factory red overspray underneith on the floor pans. the guy i got it from said theres a ton of them in this area, since the guys down there love to 1/8 mile race 'em. my car is one of the cleanest i have ever seen. he thought i was crazy for driving all that way for a g-body car, but up here in chicago you cant even find a native one that doesnt have the rear bumper bungie corded up, let alone rust free.

georgia's just a short drive for you, and take it from me, ive been into body work and painting for 18 years, and rust ALWAYS comes back, one way or another...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!