Disassembly, Day 1

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I removed the hood, doors, fenders, front fascia and core support yesterday to begin repair work. I knew I had several rust spots to deal with. I had no idea that the car had been wrecked previously. The body was hit right near the a pillar on the passenger side. It appears that there were attempts to fix it, none of which were done very well. The result is about a half inch of alignment shims at the top of the passenger door and a lone shim at the bottom. I'm not sure how to correct this issue. The car appears to sit up higher on the passenger side. I'm not sure how to figure out if the frame has been twisted in anyway. Should I scrap what I have and start over or is this something that could be fixed? I can provide some pictures if need be, but I'm currently about an hour away from the car. I'm open to all suggestions. If I have to scrap the body or the frame or both. If anyone knows where I could find either, that would be greatly appreciated.

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Little bit of an update to this build. I have purchased another car from a junkyard in Jacksonville, NC. The price of the car went up about $150 from when I talked to them on the phone to when I got there to buy the car. The car was in such good shape, I couldn't say no. Between the two cars, and with a few purchases, I have all the body panels I need. There are a few spots that need to be repaired on the new body, which I'll post pictures of as I repair the areas. I'm currently removing all of the salvagable parts off of my first car to get it ready for it's final ride.

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
IMAG0177_zps4a44652a.jpg

IMAG0151_zps22a3c365.jpg

IMAG0094_zps40545c1a.jpg

IMAG0095_zps31f42e43.jpg

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The blue one is the new project and the yellow one is the one I drove in high school. All I have left to remove from the yellow one is the glass and then it'll be gone. After that, I'll be removing the body from the blue one, and installing it on a rotisserie.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!