Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Autobody/Paint Technical

Post subject: Headers & paint
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 pm 

Can the two be used in the same sentence? My headers are fine, but they were ceramic coated and must not have cured correctly. Anyway, I had one guy come into WalMart when I worked there and said he uses cooking grill paint regularly. I may go this route given the paint will hold up ok. I don't think I'll get them sandblasted, just wire wheel much as I can, degrease and paint. Anyone see any issue with that? I guess worse case it'll burn off.

'87 Fiero GT - 2.8/5-speed
'78 Malibu - Vortec 350/4-speed (for now)

Post subject: Re: Headers & paint
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

I used Rustoleum BBQ Black on my Kawasaki H1 expansion chambers, years and years ago, and it remained like new forever...but the exhaust may not run as hot as a 4-stroke engine.

I used VHT primer and paint according to the directions on my headers and they are rusting, but there is still some paint remaining.

I had Edelbrock TES coated by Jet-Hot and the coating peeled off in sheets as soon as the weather got cold.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:22 pm 
Pro Stocker

i was wondering about that bbq paint does anyone have any pics

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 pm 

No. I got into somewhat of a rush and didn't get my headers painted, just wire-wheeled. They still look a lot better than they did with the scaly rust though. I'm on the fence about going with ceramic coating again... if I do I may find a place in Tucson and see about getting my current headers done, don't see much sense in buying a whole new set if it's just going to burn off again (curing process may have been my fault though).

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:03 am 
Dragway Regular

I just use the BBQ grill paint. I just touch up any time the engine is out. Either I don't care enough and do it cheap, but it seems to hold up really well. I just give 2 or 4 coats in the beginning. I just bought some Headmans big tubes that are used, and these will get sand blasted to see the shape of them. Got those for $300 shipped instead of the $700 shipped from Jegs .Then I'll see how well that it holds up.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 pm 
Frequent Racer

I've been building an 83 Monte the past couple weeks and saw this thread before work today. Today happened to be header day among other things. Wire wheeled all the rust and shot them with Rustoleum BBQ flavor. After a couple hours of drying time installed them. Will go over them with wax & grease remover Mon. to clean up the oil I got on them installing. Takes 2 cans and I let the first coat dry about 1/2 hour before applying the 2nd.

First coat

While 2nd coat was drying

Installed

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm 
Frequent Racer

Good ole Flowtec's. I was thinking of cleaning mine up and painting them. I just didn't know what paint to use.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Bratly51 wrote:
I just bought some Headmans big tubes that are used, and these will get sand blasted to see the shape of them. Got those for $300 shipped instead of the $700 shipped from Jegs.

I would never spend the money to get coated headers direct from the header manufacturer. It's almost always junk. They don't prep right, nor do they properly heat cure the coating. They rely on engine heat to finish the cure. That's why they tell you not to break in your engine with the headsers on it. Save the money & send them to a quality coater like Nitro Plate. You end up spending almost the same, but the coating stays on & it actually works...

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:51 pm 
Amateur Racer

I also use grill paint, it holds up pretty good & for touchups I spray through a paper towel tube so it doesn't overspray the whole engine bay.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am 
Frequent Racer

I have not used it personally but I have heard a lot of very good things about this company/product. http://www.kbs-coatings.com/high-temperature-paints.html

01 Dakota quad cab - 270k miles and still going
Huffy - new chain

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 pm 

That cardboard tube is a neat idea, never heard of that. I still have to look into sandblasting costs out here. The painted Flowtechs on my truck still aren't rusty, even with around 17,000 miles of almost daily driving... I'm sure the mostly dry climate out here helps. The headers are the only thing detracting from the engine bay in the '78 now, other than the horribly rusted underside of the hood.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Eastwood sells a product too. I have'nt used it personally but have heard good things about it. Seems there are some mixed reviews on Eastwoods site though...

http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/ ... egory/245/

Board index » TECHNICAL » Autobody/Paint Technical