bumper shocks

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
I got bumped this morning and my rear drivers side didn't come all the way back out. How do I get it back out?
It only needs about an inch more, was about 2" further in but it came out on its own.

Thanks.

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Blue Knight said:
I got bumped this morning and my rear drivers side didn't come all the way back out. How do I get it back out?
It only needs about an inch more, was about 2" further in but it came out on its own.

Thanks.
Drill an 1/8" hole in the shock and then pull it out to its proper alignment. Becareful cuz the contents may be under presure.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
nawlins-tim said:
Blue Knight said:

Thanks.
Drill an 1/8" hole in the shock and then pull it out to its proper alignment. Becareful cuz the contents may be under presure.
if you drill a hole in it,it will lose its it charge and become useless.the bumper shocks are a sacrificial part of the bumper impact system.if it doesn't come back out its time to replace it.they have a charge in them like a shock absorber,their job is to absorb the impact.instead of the frame or you.to be safe get another one.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
melloelky said:
nawlins-tim said:
Blue Knight said:

Thanks.
if you drill a hole in it,it will lose its it charge and become useless.the bumper shocks are a sacrificial part of the bumper impact system.if it doesn't come back out its time to replace it.they have a charge in them like a shock absorber,their job is to absorb the impact.instead of the frame or you.to be safe get another one.

X2.

Tommy

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
OK thanks for the advice, no holes drilled. I backed it up to a tree and tied a rope to it.
then revved it up to 5k then dropped it in gear.....j/k....I tied it to a tree and put tension on the line then popped it twice with a hammer. Fixed.....thanks for the replies

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Blue Knight said:
OK thanks for the advice, no holes drilled. I backed it up to a tree and tied a rope to it.
then revved it up to 5k then dropped it in gear.....j/k....I tied it to a tree and put tension on the line then popped it twice with a hammer. Fixed.....thanks for the replies
ok,with your hammer/tree hugger method,it's not going to behave the way it's designed to.once once its compressed,that's it..it's used.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
melloelky said:
Blue Knight said:
ok,with your hammer/tree hugger method,it's not going to behave the way it's designed to.once once its compressed,that's it..it's used.

As long as I get hit, the insurance will cover. Lol

As for the protection....all I can say is at least it has the rear frame rails not like some of the other junk out there

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Blue Knight said:
melloelky said:
Blue Knight said:

As long as I get hit, the insurance will cover. Lol

As for the protection....all I can say is at least it has the rear frame rails not like some of the other junk out there
[-o<

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts