broke body mount bolts

gboy09

Daily Driver
Mar 22, 2009
the rear body mount bolts broke off on my 78 malibu. body is completly off frame. need some info on how i should remove them. when i turn the bolt the hole thing turns.. i dont want to drill them out unless i have to. any info would help. please and thank you.

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
the cage nut retainer is broke. from the top side you will have to cut the metal with a cutoff wheel. you can cut three sides of a box shape then fold the section back like a tin can. this will give access to the cage nut. or another option is to get a two inch metal hole saw then drill out the sheet metal on the top side to give access. then get a two inch body plug to fill the hole if you don't have access to a welder.

gboy09

Daily Driver
Mar 22, 2009
how would i get to the top side of the bolt? im unable to get in the trunk due not having a key. thank you for the info!!

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
that is a good question. i've never had that happen. i think you would have to drill out the lock cylinder then you should be able to put a slotted screwdriver in the opening to turn the latch to open the trunk. if there is a better/easier way, maybe someone else will chime in to explain. good luck!!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's been a long time, I can't remember for sure, but can't you go through the back seat opening with a long extension to unbolt the latch? Should be 2 10mm or 13mm head bolts.

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
you can go in from the back seat but just take a straight screw driver and put in it where the lock goes thoough and turn it.

gboy09

Daily Driver
Mar 22, 2009
thats what i figured. i have the body on jack stands now so hopefully it dont try to tip over on me. haha thanks again everybody. much appreciated.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!