What questions should I ask? (NEW QUESTION 6/3)

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
If I'm keeping the car, it would have to be painted.

I am new and completely clueless (just like with the rest of the car) when it comes to painting.

What questions should I ask?

What brand of paint should I ask for?

How many coats of paint/clear I should demand?

What else?

6/3 NEW QUESTION:

Well, the progress has started. I've seen my inner fenders painted, but with that new question came up.

The body shop told me that they used two coats and that the clear is mixed in already. Is that sufficient? Everywhere I read, there are few coats of color and then few coats of clear.

Thank you.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Re: What questions should I ask/or things I should demand?

LIVE4RDO said:
If I'm keeping the car, it would have to be painted.

I am new and completely clueless (just like with the rest of the car) when it comes to painting.

What questions should I ask?

What brand of paint should I ask for?

How many coats of paint/clear I should demand?

What else?

Thank you.
well,you need to ask yourself a few questions first before you do anything.
have i found a body shop that i can trust and i'm comfortable with leaving my car there?do your homework,ask around see where people have had their cars done and how everything went.not all body shops want to work on older cars.some just want straight insurance work,it's a much quicker turn over compared to an overall paint job on an older car.are you doing any of the work yourself?are you looking to change to color?if so do you want the door,trunk and under hood jambs to be painted as well,this effects price,its more labor materials etc.as far as asking for a brand of paint,everyone/shop has a preference,if and when you get the final $#and you think its to much ask them if they offer a cheaper line of paint by chance.yes its cheaper but its your money.as far as #of coats that also is relation to how much you spend.two coats of clear is the standard production around here.it provides plenty of protection,uv and durability wise.if single stage two to three.this is different form one shop to another so what i would do would be different compared to what someone else would do.all shops are different.i painted my own car differently than we do the everyday jobs it's different from the get go.this process is like building a relationship with a shop.you want to trust this place to hear out everything you have to say,listen to your needs and try and help you reach the goal of getting your car to look how you want.it's a TRUST/COMMUNICATION THING.gotta find someone your comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.tell this person what you want in the end.you want it to look like glass?they'll have to buff it out after they paint it,any and all of these things can and will determine the price/length of the job,keep this in mind,maybe some of these things can and will be swayed by how much money you have to spend.gotta look at it like the big picture.overall what you want in the end and what you want to spend.

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT

MELLOELKY COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER! HE NAILED IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD. READ...THEN RE-READ THIS! EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, IS RIGHT IN THAT COMMENT!! BIG UPS TO MELLOELKY!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

see,it's more then just a pretty face over here

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI

Melloelky, Very well said...

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL

i agree as well. ive been doing body and paint for about 18 years, and restos for most of that time. find a place that WANTS to do the car, and not just a shop that is close and cheap. usually production shops will make a complete resto job a long term project and permanent installation out of your ride. but be warned, you get what you pay for and that is the bottom line. ppg and dupont are good brands, spies heker and diamont are better, house of kolor clear, IMO is the best. ultimately, know what you want in the end and have a long consultation with the shop you choose.

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
6/3 NEW QUESTION:

Well, the progress has started. I've seen my inner fenders painted, but with that new question came up.

The body shop told me that they used two coats and that the clear is mixed in already. Is that sufficient? Everywhere I read, there are few coats of color and then few coats of clear.

Thank you.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
LIVE4RDO said:
6/3 NEW QUESTION:

Thank you.
hmm,i worked with a guy that would jamb his fenders that way.it's a half a**ed way of doing it.the point of doing that is so he didn't have to base&base then clear.the draw back is depending on the color,it might not cover in one coat so what's the point of two coats when that one w/clear won't cover any faster with the added clear?if they said they painted it an put two coats of clear ON TOP of it that's just fine.i re-read your post but are you sure they said it's mixed in or was it single stage?they may have said it's paint and clear mixed together to assure you that it's a good topcoat and not a spray bomb etc etc.and yes your correct with the few coats of each.some colors require more coats than others.two coats of clear is standard plenty of uv protection and mill thickness all that.twos fine.no worries.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!