Need HELP with fenders and core support

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
So I go to bolt my fenders back on and...they seem to sit about 1 inch above the aluminum core support I'm using, I can bolt them down to the support, but then there is a bit of tension because of the height issue, It's do-able, just does not seem right. I'n using Energy Suspensions poly mounts all the way around including the core support mounts, could those be the problem or is it the aluminum core support..or the combination? Is there something else I'm missing here? I'll try to post a picture later.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hmmmm you shouldn't have THAT much room between the support and the fenders.you are better off pushing the whole support up as one.how's the line where the door meets the fenders with this much of a space?make the line between the door and fender to your liking, than deal with the space up front. i replaced my body bushings when i put the body back on and also used energy Suspensions poly mounts with trouble at the core support like that.i picked up a stock looking set of core support ones and they were better but still about 1/2 an inch to short.i never got to the bottom of it but couldn't help but wonder if the newer body bushings had a taller profile compared to the old ones from the get go.i got the new core support bushings from the elcamino store/ecklers.i had no oe ones to compare them to so for all i know they were for another gm car.but i did use the poly ones to make a spacer for the gm ones.hows that for irony? keep us posted Wile E

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
You need spacers under the core support bushings. That is how you adjust the gap between the door and fender. I also added an aluminum core support with energy suspension poly mounts and I have around 1/2" - 3/4" in spacers on mine.

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
Thanks for the input. I've heard from others with the same issue, looks like spacers are the way to go. This pic does not make it look as bad as it really is, I pulled the fender up as close as I could just to see, but then the door gap is way off. With the door gap proper, the core support gap is a lot larger.
jkjk002.jpg

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
As previously stated.....bring the support to the fenders, not the fenders to the support.

8)
bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!