Doors on Or off?

yahr

Daily Driver
Dec 26, 2011
Brick New Jersey
Ok whats better painting the body with the doors on or off. I am thinking I can paint the car doors off and get the jambs as nice as the car. Plus I can edge the doors on a stand then paint them the fenders and header panel in one shot.

Whats the best way to get the most quality paint job?

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Doors off the car gives a much better appearance, but you may run into some fitment issues when putting them back on. I ran into that with an old Karmann Ghia I painted. It took a little work to get the doors to line up. But, that car had a totally different hinge design...

.02 :)

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
I would block and sand & prep with the doors & fenders on the car and then remove them to paint,, that way from what I am reading & watching on the boob tube it will give ya a better paint detail,, Matty man

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Doors off, jamb it and do the inside of the doors.
Put the doors back on, align them, backtape the doors and jambs and paint it with the doors on the car.
Paint texture and color will be uniform.
How many time do you see the doors and fenders that were painted off the car come out a different color? Anything but a solid color paint and it's very possible and most likely to happen.

8)
bukweet

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
bukweet said:
How many time do you see the doors and fenders that were painted off the car come out a different color? Anything but a solid color paint and it's very possible and most likely to happen.

bukweet

Yeah, I should have clarified... I painted the insides of the doors and the door jambs, and then reinstalled the doors, and shot the entire car.. Only because the guy helping me at the time said to do it that way....

I probably would have shot the whole door and then wondered why it didn't look quite right..... ](*,)

yahr

Daily Driver
Dec 26, 2011
Brick New Jersey
bukweet said:
Doors off, jamb it and do the inside of the doors.
Put the doors back on, align them, backtape the doors and jambs and paint it with the doors on the car.
Paint texture and color will be uniform.

8)
bukweet

Thats the answer I was really looking for. I was planning on painting the doors off the car but now I will follow that plan. I was thinking along those lines.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
the only time you should paint the doors off is with black. any other color, especially metallics can change depending on pressure, temperature, and time in the gun. its nice not to have any tape lines, but its nicer to have matching panels.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I did not want any tape lines and painted my car with everything off the car. I painted the fenders, doors and trunk seperatly from the body. If you're limited on space or time it would be easier to paint with everything hanging on the car

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!