different tail light bezels?

mobileaudio25

Frequent Racer
Aug 3, 2011
columbus ohio
im not very familiar with malibu gbodys, but i was wondering if it was possible to have a 1978 tail light with a different year bezel? the 78 tail light bezel i thought looked chrome and i have a bezel on my tail light that is just black plastic? thanks for the help, kyle

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
78 is a 1 year only lamp, and the bezels are integral to the assembly. They were just flash plated, and most have worn off over the years. Careful taping and a good quality aluminum paint will be better, but is not going to look like chrome.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
X2. A little Aluminum paint will make them look great. Doug

mobileaudio25

Frequent Racer
Aug 3, 2011
columbus ohio
yeah, i think the bezels i have are off of a different year tail light. the ones that ive seen online seem to look like there is chrome (or used to be) on the bezel, but mine are just black plastic, and i dont believe they ever came with the chrome surrounding. Is there anywhere to buy these bezels online?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Don't know how to make this any simpler...if you have 78 taillamps, the bezels are NOT from any other year. The 78 has an angled side on it, all others are squared off.

And again, the "chrome" wears off over time. It's just a coating, and solvents will remove it quickly, so it's not like the older cars that had an actual plated diecast zinc bezel, or even stainless if you go way back.

You might find a nice pair if somebody is parting one, but as far as I've seen, there are no new bezels.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey. These are 78 Malibu tail lights, They only work with 78 Malibu quarter panel extensions.
Malibutaillights2.jpg

All other tail lights 79-83 are squared off.
Malibutaillights7.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts