Ready to lift body. A little help ?

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
i am going to lift body off frame. got me some cement blocks and two eight foot 4 x 4's. probably going to use combination of floor jacks and scissor jacks with blocks of wood. the part i would like some help with is where do i put the 4 x 4's once the body is up in the air ? will the ends rest on the rocker panel lip or do you notch a grove out so the lip goes in it ? i will be repairing lots of rust from the underside. possibly the body mount pockets as well. any pointers are greatly appreciated. close-up pic's of how other people had their body's lifted off and mount points where the body was resting on wood blocks would be awesome.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,088
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 2,078

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
The rear one can go right where the axle is and the from one should be up close to the firewall. That's worked for me in the past.
I used cinder blocks and landscaping timbers. Just position the blocks where you want them on each side, get friends or cherry picker to lift the body and slide the wood under

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
do you have pictures of it in the air? i have some rot issues towards the back and part of the drivers rocker has some rust. i am worried if i don't get the body resting properly i will cause more damage or the weight will buckle something. plus, once it is up in the air gotta be able to fix bad spots without wood blocks in the way. wouldn't it be great if cars didn't rust??

bustedknuckle

Dragway Regular
Mar 4, 2008
St. Louis-Missouri
this is a pic i had from years ago, it should help. but now that i think about it the blocks should be flipped the other way with the holes facing up

good luck
IMG_1260.jpg

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
thanks for some pic's. so, that lip that's under the rocker doesn't fold or buckle from the weight?? or is there some shim or something between the body and wood that i cant see?? I know it seem's i'm beating this question to death but, i'm just trying to do as much research as possible on this. i just wanna make sure i get it right the first time. i hate fixing stuff twice, especially if i'm the one who screwed it up the first time. anyway thanks for the info 80superbu & for the pic's bustedknuckle i do appreciate it.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
its ok to place the weight of the body on the pinch welds,they are very strong.on a uni body construction car it's a factory jacking point.when i lifted my elcamino the first time i rested the body on them also on 4x4's on stands.try and steer away from using cement blocks they can break,just think safety first.i used a pallet jack to pick up the back of the car,do a little in the front,then a little in the back try and go up evenly.
scan0003-1.jpg
scan0001-1.jpg

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
thanks for some pics melloelky. dig that yellow frame, looks cool. usually everybody's is black, never thought a color on the frame would look that good.

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
well, got the body up in the air. think i need to go one more block higher to get the frame out. i made a couple blocks to fit where the frame rides in the front. in the back i placed some flat boards under floor pan where the rear seats set. had to do it like that because i need to get to the rear mount points to fix them, and the floor pan is out of the trunk for some repair/fab work.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,038
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,030
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 2,031

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hey thanks for the kind words,i think matching the frame to body color depends on the color you go with.but,to each their own.looks liek your off to an excellent start there now,just break it down into smaller repairs,don't look at it like its sooo much work just divide and concqure one part at a time.i've been where your at and it feels great when your done!keep it up and enjoy the fruits of your labor its sooo worth it.if you get stuck just swing by we'll help you out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!