1979 Malibu Door Weatherstrip and trim

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
Can anyone post some photos of the trim and weatherstrip for the doors? When I got this car the weatherstrips were not installed. Someone also removed all the trim. If someone has some photos of this going together, that would be helpful. I'm trying to install the entire piece that is bent at the a-pillar as well as the quarter trim. Thank you!

EDIT:

Here's my main issue. I have the outer trim for the quarter glass but the weatherstrip needs something to hold it to the b-pillar. Here's a photo..

SANY1944.jpg

I need to know what the trim piece that goes here looks like. :-k

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
No one has a photos of this they can share with me? At this point I'd also take the part number for whatever trim piece this is.. I could really use the help. I just need to see what this looks like. I have a box full of trim pieces and I'm not sure which one goes here to keep that weatherstrip secured to the B-Pillar..

When I got this car it was in pieces..

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
hey, don't know if you ever figured out your trim or not. but, on mine the trim doesn't hold the weatherstrip. it is just a separate piece of trim that is right next to the weather strip. took some pic's hope they help.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,095
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,093
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,115

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
Thank you for this! Now, it looks like I might have a different style? I have the full trim piece that wraps the b-pillar. I'll have to post a photo of the weatherstrip itself. I beleve it's a soft seal brand. The weatherstip looks like it needs to be installed into a channel similar to the top.

Does your weatherstip have those little plastic things installed in it? The ones you push into a hole to keep it in place?

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
I took this from Bill in NC Landau conversion post.

DSCF3483.jpg

It's sideways.. but you can see the piece I need. He's putting the screwdriver to it in this photo. It appears the weatherstip goes into that channel.

Any ides on that piece?

TweaK

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2003
Champlin, MN
That piece is the same length as the part you already have installed. That part has a channel in it that the weather stripping is glued into.
I have my trim apart right now, ill upload some pics as soon as i can. I'll probably make a separate post, because it seems to be a common question people have about how the trim goes together.

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
TweaK said:
That piece is the same length as the part you already have installed. That part has a channel in it that the weather stripping is glued into.
I have my trim apart right now, ill upload some pics as soon as i can. I'll probably make a separate post, because it seems to be a common question people have about how the trim goes together.

Please let me know if you do. I'd love to get these doors sealed up soon. Lord knows I have a ton of other little things to keep me ocupied right now though.

TweaK

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2003
Champlin, MN
Shoot. I lost a few pics that i took to explain how it goes together. Here is how it goes together.

#1 no pic. Its the plastic Piece that goes in the 1/4 window. This goes in first
P1010314.jpg

#2 is the one above
P1010315.jpg

#3 is the chrome part that goes on the front edge of the front windows
P1010313.jpg

This one can be #4 or 5. It doesn't matter. It is the one that goes next to your headliner.
P1010312.jpg

This is the one you were missing. I had a pic of it cleaned up off the car, but it's gone. Here is another pic:
P1010311.jpg

It can be put on as #4 or 5.

Hope this helps. Make sure to put some sealer between the edge of 4 & 5, as there will be a little gap there that your weather stripping won't cover.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!