what paint for plastic inner fenders

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I just picked up a real nice set of inner fenders. No undercoating or tar underneath but they are a bit faded. Im in the process of cleaning them up but I want to get them to look mint. I did a set in SEM landau black but I havent installed them yet so I dont know how theyre going to hold up to the heat of the motor. What do you folks use for this ??

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
On top I used Krylon fusion black

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
How does it look ? Holding up well with the heat of the engine ? Any chance of you posting a picture ? Pretty please ??

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Hit 'em with black trim conditioner like American Oil's "Black Again", Meguiar's "Gold Class Trim Detailer' or "Ultimate Black", Mother's "Back To Black".

Tommy

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I tried the Meguires detailer already Tommy. It didnt do much. I picked these up at a yard last Monday with plans to use them on my car. I have another set that were on my car when I bought it. I sprayed them with SEM paint after prepping the crap out of them. Im not even sure if it will hold up under the hood. The reason I wanted to use the set from the yard is the bottoms were real clean without a ton of tar on them. Mine had so much old tar and road crap on them I couldnt get them perfectly clean so I sprayed them with 3M Body Schutz on the bottom to make them look even. I just dont like how they came out. Also the right one from the yard has some pretty bad rust stains from where the battery box was over it. I wanted to powerwash them today but I didnt get around to it. Maybe that will clean them up a little more.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Dont you have to re apply that stuff all the time ? Kinda like Ardex or Armorall ?

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
I used the cheapo flat black that you buy at wallyworld. I pressure washed the fenderwells, and scrubbed them down with a scotch brite pad for a little adhesion. I did the same thing on my fan shroud.

The paint holds up just fine. I have melted a speedo cable, and the carpet from header heat and the paint is fine. I also pressure wash under the hood several times a year to keep things clean.

The rest of the cheap stuff is crap, but that flat black will stick with a nice finish.
DSCF3175.jpg

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Finally found a pic of mine.......I used Krylon Fusion on the fan shroud and heater/ac unit.......

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDAtMjAxMDA0MjgtMTYwN.jpg

005.jpg

daveybtv

Weekend Racer
Aug 27, 2011
Buffalo NY
What about a satin black interior trim paint? I have not tried it but makes sense that if it bonds with the plastic interior pieces it would do the same with the fender wells?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts