Bonding hood scoops, pics please?

Ok guys, I wanna build a one off hood for my Century wagon, no cowl hoods, the are old hat for me, every car I had had one. I don't think I want the "turbo bump" from the GN. I was looking at the stinger/stinger 2 hoods from Nickey chevy for the new camaros, I really like em. They are pretty much the old corvette "stinger" scoop.

I was tossing around fabbing one from sheet metal so I can bond/weld it to my hood and not have to worry about dissimilar materials expending/contracting causing cracks.

I can get the scoop in glass, use the 3M/evercoat/fusor or similar panel adhesive, and it'll prolly be ok for years.

Anyway, if anyone has bonded there scoop on, how did YOU do it and how long did it/is it lasting.

I have looked all over the world wide web and seen different examples, but all of them look great right after it is done. I have seem them crack in 2 months time, some guys claimed they had for years, but that was the old way, before the new adhesives we have today.

jmerc

Amateur Racer
Sep 23, 2009
staten island, ny
Ive added scoops of plastic and fiberglass to steel hoods and fiberglass to fiberglass and find the best way to do it is a few small rivets then fiberglass resin and cloth, several layers starting small and widening with each new layer. Then some sanding followed by some fiberglass filler to get it all smooth and lots of tedious hand sanding. May be the hardest way but it will last forever. I lift my hood on and off the car now using the scoop as my handel . I installed it using this method.
DSC_0618_01.jpg

jmerc

Amateur Racer
Sep 23, 2009
staten island, ny
as you can see in the pic it still needs some sanding to get out that bump . thats why I sprayed it black it makes every improfection show up.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
That's the way we have done them jmerc. The only one we have had a problem with was one we built on saw horses. After we put the hood on the car it had it in a bind and it cracked over time. (it was sagging while on the saw horses.)

* this was a glass to glass bond

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!