Clear coating aluminum radiator support

GrandAmMan

Amateur Racer
I saw something posted a while back, but can't locate it.
I have an aluminum radiator support that I want to finish and install.
I have a blaster that uses plastic media. I think this will be ok...

I want to clear it somehow, but remember reading that some clearcoats will yellow on aluminum.

Does anyone know what type of clear I need?
Also, someone posted a picture of their car with the support installed, I'd like to see that again if possible.

Thanks,

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
A high quality urethane clearcoat will not yellow, but I would be worried about adhesion problems with the aluminum. You may be best off having it powder coated.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
tiedyemike8 said:
A high quality urethane clearcoat will not yellow, but I would be worried about adhesion problems with the aluminum. You may be best off having it powder coated.
i've cleared some bare alumium before,only to have it start to get foggyish-gray under the clear.i called ppg and they told me in need to use a conversion coating before hand.i've seen eastwood sell some that claim no problems.but what gets me about that product is it's a single componet product,no activator.that rite there would stop me from using it. [-(

GrandAmMan

Amateur Racer
Ribbedroof said:
Clear anodizing...same as GM used on the aluminum trim.

Ok, this is what I am going to try. I dropped the support off at the blasters today.
Found someone that does anodizing and will drop it off sometime next week.
They really can't say how it will turn out since they don't know the make up of the aluminum.
Worst case, if it turns out bad, I'll just have it powdercoated.
I have several of these and just found this one for $50, so it's no big gamble.

I'll post pictures when I get it back.

GrandAmMan

Amateur Racer
Thought I'd follow up on this thread.
The guy that does anodizing said that all the steel inserts (~15) would have to be removed from the radiator support.
Plus, the aluminum wire used to weld aluminum has to be a special material or it will turn black. They also said it may turn out blotchy since they didn't know the exact type of aluminum it was made of....
It is now at the powder coaters..

I would have tried it anyway, but pulling all of those metal inserts would have been a pain. I'm not even sure if/how they are removed...

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
GrandAmMan said:
Thought I'd follow up on this thread.
The guy that does anodizing said that all the steel inserts (~15) would have to be removed from the radiator support.
Plus, the aluminum wire used to weld aluminum has to be a special material or it will turn black. They also said it may turn out blotchy since they didn't know the exact type of aluminum it was made of....
It is now at the powder coaters..

I would have tried it anyway, but pulling all of those metal inserts would have been a pain. I'm not even sure if/how they are removed...
well,it was a cool idea.i was looking forward to seeing it.powdercoating is still a good option,its pretty tough.what about a clear powdercoat?

GrandAmMan

Amateur Racer
I thought about clear powder coat, but i would have had to grind down and sand the spot welds and all the other grinding marks.
I almost went with an aluminum color, but called back and changed it to semi gloss black.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
GrandAmMan said:
I thought about clear powder coat, but i would have had to grind down and sand the spot welds and all the other grinding marks.
I almost went with an aluminum color, but called back and changed it to semi gloss black.
yea i see what your sayin'i went black with mine too.i was going to spray it body color but i think i'd have to much yellow so the black breaks it up nicely

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!