When to upgrade main caps?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Something that's crossed my mind on the 383 I'm planning on building for my truck, regardless of whether this is built with torque or horsepower in mind, when should the main caps be upgraded? I mean I won't be racing this thing at the track every weekend, but I'm pretty sure I could build it to stay quite street friendly and still make 475-500lb. ft. at the crank, no? What's usually the killer for main caps?

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
Doober said:
Something that's crossed my mind on the 383 I'm planning on building for my truck, regardless of whether this is built with torque or horsepower in mind, when should the main caps be upgraded? I mean I won't be racing this thing at the track every weekend, but I'm pretty sure I could build it to stay quite street friendly and still make 475-500lb. ft. at the crank, no? What's usually the killer for main caps?

Its not all the torque but also the added stroke as it will side load the caps more comapred toe 3.25 stroke.

One other thing we have seen with the GM blocks is most K-cap blocks have weaker main webbing then the 010/020 blocks.

Billet caps would be a good choice and even better a set of splayed billet caps are even better and would be a good choice for a K=cap blocks.

Guys always say add studs but studs don"t make a grey cast stronger its only better hardware!!!

We tend to over build our 383's but they don;t seem to have the problems so guy have with broken caps and caps that are moving in their registers.

By the time you add caps and machine your block your not to far off from a SHP block and you can build a 400 no prpblem with those blocks.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
If you feel the block needs align bored, that is the time.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Holy cow, been a while since I've seen you post! :lol:

That's the thing... this engine won't be in a truck that's raced, and if it is it will just to see how fast it does 1320'. The torque will be more down low, I'll guess the peak will hit before 3200-3500.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts