What weight oil does every body run?

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
5w30 10w30 10w40 and why ? I mean whats the reason you run the weight you do, is it thickness film strenth or some other reason.
David

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
15 40 rotella in everything. Why? For the zinc that the flat tappet motor in my Regal needs, and for the DD it is a good all around oil. Also, I can find anywhere. Oh all my stuff has in excess of 200,000 miles on it so I guess you could say that it works okay.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
10W40 in my "race car" valvoline. I wouldnt run anything thicker because theres no need. it carries over 70 psi cold

the "old" Rotella 15w40 in my chevelle. for the flat tappet cam. although im almost out, and I will go get some GM EOS to add to the oil for zinc.

I run 5w30 Mobil 1 in my Suburban. so I can go a little further on the oil changes. I seem to only keep the vehicle 2 years. and If I get stationed overseas after this tour, I will be trading it in for a smaller car.

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
I am running 5w30 down here its warm most of the time. ( untill I get some time on the motor)It suppose to flows to all parts of the motor faster than the thick stuff. I was worried about it being thinner and not giving the same protection as the thicker stuff .Any thoughts?

David

A

Anonymous

15w-40 rotella, i got a turbo sbc355 and i need the heavy stuff for the turbo bushings. and if you are running an older smallblock, one with a flat tappet cam, hydraulic or solid, you should be using a truck oil too, new oil lacks 90% of the needed agents and properties to keep a flat tappet cam from flattening itself out. lubricity..?

jrm81bu

Frequent Racer
Jul 17, 2006
Antwerp, Ohio
turbowarwagon said:
15w-40 rotella, i got a turbo sbc355 and i need the heavy stuff for the turbo bushings. and if you are running an older smallblock, one with a flat tappet cam, hydraulic or solid, you should be using a truck oil too, new oil lacks 90% of the needed agents and properties to keep a flat tappet cam from flattening itself out. lubricity..?

At least it used to.

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
I run 20w50 royal purple simply because my machinist recommends it, i used to run penzoil 10w30 never really noticed any difference until i switched to royal purple seems to run smoother

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts