What to check? Rebuilt TH400 stored for long term

C.I.D. Vicious

Daily Driver
Mar 29, 2007
Delavan Wisconsin
I have 2 TH400's that have both meet the same fate. Both previous owners had them rebuilt. Both never finsihed the project. So these things sat for years. In unheated garages.
Input shafts on both have surface rust. I have not taken pan off either one.
I know what garage condensation can due to an engine cylinder walls. So what can go wierd with a trans?
Question is, can I pull pan and valve body, make sure everything is movin free, and run one? Will they need to be taken apart further?

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
the th400 that I have in my Chevelle sat in my uncles quanset for over 10 years. I stabed it in last year with only change of the in/out put seals and pan gasket. Works fine and shifts well. It was out of a running car when I got it though (2,000 miles since rebuild) so the fluid kept it rust free. I'd stab it in, I think you will be fine.

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
I let a Th350 sit outside for 2 years on cinder blocks with just a garbage bag over it to keep leaves/snow off of it. Worked just fine until I accidentally shifted it into reverse going 65MPH :shock: #-o

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
lol i had a t350 given to me out of some guys front yard, it had been there for a few years...uncovered lol, i dropped the valve body and put a shift kit in it changed the fluid and put it in. It went 12.32 in my malibu all summer, till i blew the downshift bands out of it and sucked the pieces through the filter and into the front pump lol i say run it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts