Went out and measured wheelwell

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
With all the questions about backspacing, I went out and measured the Malibu.

I took the idea of using a piece of aluminum angle and some 1/4-20 threaded rod from a post on this site. With two 1/2 inch holes in one end and a series of 5/16 holes in the other, it worked like a charm to find the real measurements.

On the drivers side from the drum surface to the frame was 5 3/4". From the drum surface to the wheelwell lip was 5 1/4". So the total wheel space is 11 inches on a completely stock opening. On the passenger side, it was 5 1/8" from the drum surface to the frame. It was 5 7/8" from the drum surface to the wheelwell lip. So again, there is an 11 inch opening. It looks like the rear is not centered, and sits about 3/8" of an inch to the drivers side. I guess that some adjustable control arms can fix that.

Scot

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Went out and measured the 82 Malibu wagon.

The wagon driver side is 5 1/2" from drum to frame, and 5 1/8" from drum to lip. The passenger side is 5 1/2" from drum to frame, and 5 3/8" from drum to lip. So it looks like the wagons rear end is centered in the frame.

At one point, I had a little trouble spinning the aluminum angle and threaded rod around. Turns out there was still a piece of MIG wire attached to the frame getting in the way. I assume it was left over from making the frame some 26 years ago...

I bought a set of Camaro SS wheels that are 9x17 with 50 mm of offset. They measure 10 inches from outside wheel surface to inside wheel surface, and have 7" of back space. With the usual 2" adapters for these wheels, that would make them zero offset, or 5" of back space. With the 1/4" that a 275/40 tire would add, that means a total backspace of 5 1/4" That just might fit that wagon with nothing other than maybe a slight trim to the lip. The 79 may need some work to center the rear first.

The 79 is green, and I think it would look real good with the grey SS wheels with 275/40x17's filling the wheel well. The wagon is brown, and I don't think it would look as good with those grey wheels.

Scot

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts