V6 Mileage

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Well I just took my malibu on the first extended road trip since I got it, and I'm impressed!

4 door, 229V6, 3 spd. manual 119,000km (74,000miles)

Averaged roughly 26mpg @ 105-110km/h (23 miles/US gallon @ 65~ mph)

It surprised me, didn't think it would be that good.

What is everyone else getting for mileage in these things?

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
Actually, that is exactly what I got on my last long highway trip :) Although, I had the a/c on and was going 75 mph, it was getting 23 mpg with the cruise control handling the throttle.

In my commute, I average 22 mpg, with a fair amount of stop and go.

I think that may be as good as these cars can get at higher speeds. The original EPA figures were 19/26 mpg with the 229, but that was with the 55 mph highway limit (and the EPA test was done at 50 mph). So, considering the lack of aerodynamics, I think 23-24 is about the max we'll ever see LOL

What year is yours? My 4dr is an '80, so it was the last US model to have a non-computer carburetor. I'm assuming you're in Canada--I don't think you got the CCC system any years for the Malibu.

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Mine is an '81 (iraqi taxi).

I think I can get a bit more out of it. Afterwards I found out the clip for the electric choke had broken so having the choke on the whole time must have been hurting mileage a little bit. As well as no cruise, and I was driving into a pretty good wind most of time. Enough to blow the car around.

But it's good enough on gas for me to not be afraid to take it anywhere now.

This was all highway by the way, I have yet to see what it gets in the city.

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
The choke would have opened from engine heat, just not nearly as fast as it should have.

You might be able to get some more economy out of it. The 1981 US models with the computer control were up to 19/28 mpg, but I still think that today's highway speeds really limit the economy these can get with a non-aerodynamic front end.

dphipps

Daily Driver
Jan 21, 2009
Yea I guess the choke would open, just way slower than it should.

And while more mileage would be nice, what it gets is fine with me. You can only go so far pushing a brick through the air!

Although future plans are for a late model 4.3 vortec and hopefully a 5 speed. I'm interested to see what mileage that combo would get in this car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts