Uh-oh... my Saginaw's makin' a noise...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
... I'm not sure what it is, and of course my mind is immediately going to the worst possible case... a rebuild (at least bearings). It drives fine, but there is a very light clattering sound (different from the first 4-speed I got that had bad gears). It doesn't make any noise in 1st, but 2-4 and reverse all make the same noise... sounds almost like it's out of oil. I topped it off today, but it's still making the same sound. Tomorrow I'm taking a shot at the linkage to see if anything is loose, or out of adjustment (it's always had an intermittent issue going from 2nd to 3rd, going to try to address that also). This morning when I left work I thought it was in neutral and while feathering the gas (around 1500rpm probably) I let the clutch out pretty abruptly & it stalled in reverse. I didn't think anything of it, but that's when the noise started, I noticed as soon as I shifted into 2nd after pulling out of the parking lot. Luckily I only live maybe 6-8 miles from home, so I never did more than 40-45 since I didn't know what the noise was. I'm hoping for the simplest, but expecting the worst [-o<

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
2 of the reverse teeth on the countergear are chipped. I'm not sure if that's what was making the noise, I believe the idler was just barely engaged, making the noise. Just gotta put it back in & see what happens I guess...

l_8e4f4fd9f0354afd8b239509896dd78f.jpg

If it still makes noise then I think I'm done for the year, and with the '81...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
That is a real bummer. To replace it you have to take most of it apart. Time to put the 3 speed back in until you fix the 4 speed. That way you still have transportation.

My 3 speed saw lots of use in my wagon due to breaking the 4 speeds so often.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I stuck it back in after taking the 2 or 3 small bits off the magnet. It may still make noise, and if that's the case I may just leave the car alone for a while... I'm not sure what's going to happen when I go to AZ the next week or two... may just start saving for a TKO or T56.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts